Best tranny case sealer?

Guest John T

What would be the best tranny case sealer available for when I have the tranny apart?

I here good things about yamabond, but can't find it.

What do you think?

When my dealer ( at that time) sealed my gearbox, he swore by Yamabond 'blue.' Sure enough the cases never seaped after that.

I'm betting Honda would have a good sealer also.

My new gearbox appears to have a different sealer than the old. It is black and rubbery versus the old thin, brown olive oil based stuff.

All the dealers carry "brand name" bond. Suzukibond, yamabond, honda bond, you get the idea. I always used the grey semi hardening. Most manufacters recommended this for sealing the crankcase halves on inline fours. It is actually made by 3M who also markets it as 1104.

(even non yamaha) will use it as will a lot of HD shops.......

Just a funny note, I was visiting family over the holidays in the San Fran Bay area and went to Ron Simms shop over in the east bay. A mech came out from the back and I over heard him telling Ron that he would have to wait till tommarow to finish so job, he need to get some "yamabond" Just gave me a good giggle. Those of you in the bay area need to check his shop out, closer to a museum, than a shop.

Just a funny note, I was visiting family over the holidays in the San Fran Bay area and went to Ron Simms shop over in the east bay. A mech came out from the back and I over heard him telling Ron that he would have to wait till tommarow to finish so job, he need to get some "yamabond" Just gave me a good giggle. Those of you in the bay area need to check his shop out, closer to a museum, than a shop.

Emry,

I drive by Ron Simms shop every day on the way to work and they do have some pretty trick stuff. You should of posted that you were headed up to the Bay Area so some of us Guzzi guys could get together. Maybe next time. :thumbsup:

Mike

Mike,

I was staying in Castro Valley with my parents and was pretty balls to the wall visiting old friends and family. But if I ever get out there for a real vacation I give you Bay Area gents a post. :bier:

:thing: What is this thing? Is it really the transmission gremlin?

Found it in 24/7, very cute.

If you cannot get Yamabond, look to see if there is a Chrysler dealer near you, they have a sealent especially for gear lube applications that cures properly when in direct contact with gear lubes, many sealants don't cure properly when in contact with regular or sinthetic gear lubes. I have used it many times and it does work properly, Yamabond does work also I belive.

cheers :bier:

:thing: What is this thing? Is it really the transmission gremlin?

Found it in 24/7, very cute.

Oh, it's not so bad when the gearbox gremlin shows up like this: :thing:

It's when it shows up like this: :thing::thing::thing::thing::thing::thing::thing::thing::thing: