Fuel pump groaning

czakky

While I'm at it looking at the wiring diagram I'm seeing this fuel solenoid (#32 on C. Allison's diagram) and I can't recall seeing this. I'm trying to track down an intermittent fuel pump groan and haven't had any luck. Also I am having trouble finding the ground for this too....?

Thanks as usual.

They groan if the filter get's plugged as the internal relief lets go at about 70 psi,

But you have a plastic tank so it shouldn't be that.

Electric petcock not opening might have a similar effect

The #32 "electric fuel solenoid valve" is the electric (pet)cock fitted to the left underside of the tank on chin-pad tanks through 2002. Many have been removed and fitted with manual versions.

If yours still has the electric (pet)cock, make sure the wires to it under the rubber boot are intact. If they (or one) become(s) broken, the fuel delivery will be obstructed. Repair the connection and secure with a dab of epoxy.

Nope PO had fitted with manual petcock.

The "groan" has never bothered me but the other day it didn't prime at all until I toggled the kill swithch a couple times. I feel like it's a bad connection somewhere. I've gone through all the obvious connections i.e. relays, fuses, pump itself. Fuel filter is relatively new.

As Docc says, the grease goes hard in the switches, holds the tension off the contacts.

Clean and re-lube with Vaseline, nothing else.

If you still have a petcock fuse that's a great troubleshooting spot, It's just where the switches and interlocks end up before going to the ECU, If there's 12 Volts there chances are the bike will run, wink wink.

Its weird because besides one episode fairly recently (seemingly unrelated) ive never had running issues. The pump just groans.

Anyhow i took apart the kill switch gave her a few blasts of contact cleaner even though there was no visible corrosion or dirt. A few starts and so far no annoying sound... Wish i would have done that 9 mos. ago. Once again thanks guys!

Anyhow i took apart the kill switch gave her a few blasts of contact cleaner even though there was no visible corrosion or dirt. A few starts and so far no annoying sound... 

so you cleaned a switch and the pump got quiet?

I'm in Beijing at the moment, out in the sticks tomorrow for 3 weeks so I can't post any sketches but here's an old thread with the Test Point Layout sketch attached.

Note 4 says the Ignition switch should be

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=17469&hl=%2Btest+%2Bpoint+%2Blayout

I don't know if any of the spineies have the start relay (pin 30)powered through the ignition switch like lot's of other Guzzis, there the ignition switch resistance is critical, the starter solenoid would like to draw 40 Amps for just a split second, too much resistance leads to failure to pull in aka "Startus Interuptus"

IMHO the V11s are the only Guzzis that got it right

• 2 weeks later...

Been commuting lately on the Guzzi, neary a groan from the pump. Seems like the kill-switch clean must've done it. Although I'm probably due for an ignition clean up as there seems to be rash of ignition switch related issues in guzzi world lately.

Still have to check the test points you sent me Roy. You don't just jump into these things :luigi: