Dash board lights V11

TeamFab

Hi folks, can someone tell me how many lamps come on when your V11 has its ignition turned on..

My V11 Le-mans has the dash stripped and the speedo away for the usual not clocking up the miles problem and now when assembled the only lamps that come on are the oil and neutral, i cant remember if the ignition and low fuel lamps did in the past but you would think they should to test the bulbs!

Tested all bulbs and all is well...

Martin..

Hi

lights that should come on when the ignition is turned on are: Neutral, Battery, Oil pressure.

There are no electronics on this bike except for the ECU, so don't expect any dinky pre-fireup test routine. If the batt light is not lighting, I would check the wires of the regulator, especially the single wire on its own (white on my bike). If this is not connected there is no voltage sensing and the reg may fry your battery. You can check if all is well by starting the bike up with a voltmeter across the batt terminals. If at 1000 rpm it's showing around 12.8 - 13.5v, and at 3000RPM it's showing between 13.5 and 15v all is well. Above 15v indicated either  voltage sensing fault (broken wire usually), poor earth to the reg (see various posts in this forum), or a reg that is dying.

Sorry for that blast of negativity but a reg is £60 and a battery is £100. Ask me how I know.....

If the neutral light doesn't light, this could be the neutral switch itself or the connection to it. Easy check: earth the neutral switch lead to the gearbox case and the light should shine. If it doesn't, you have a break somewhere. Quite rare, the neutral switch is poorly specified, and fails about every 20k miles.

Hope that's brightened your day, lol :thumbsup:

All the best

Guzz

• Like 1

No battery light with the key on could be an open 30amp fuse as well. Easy to check, but if it's blown look for the cause.

• 8 months later...

I know it is an old thread but I am trying to make my V11 more reliable a little by little. Last time I rode the bike, was a round trip of about 100 miles everything was O.K at least I thought that but the next day I found my battery depleted with a reading of 0.5 V.

I started looking in the archives and after read a few threads I checked out all the ground points then cleaned and put some vaseline on them (not added a new ground to the regulator yet), replaced a melted 30 amp fuse and check the battery light bulb (grounding the wire that goes to the regulator and the bulb is in good working order) but the battery light does not come up when the key is ON.

I verify everything one more time (battery readings are 12.65V OFF, 13.16 idle, 13.84 4000 rpm, 14.18 idle lights ON, 14.45 4000 rpm Lights ON and no parasite voltage drops measure at the fusses) and went to ride again, this time was a short ride of about 35 miles including some traffic, highways and twisted roads when I shut the bike OFF the battery reads 12.45V and the 30 amp fuse was intact although the battery light still does not coming up when the key is ON.

So I guess the regulator/rectifier is O.K, any suggestion on what to look for

My 2001 V11 Sport A.K.A Cicciolina by now is puring like a little cat and I am planning to enjoy her for long, I now for sure she will demand of me and I still have things to attend but I am very pleased of acquired her :grin:  

Thanks in advance.

Forum1.jpg

The battery light is pretty useless really, it wont work as Docc says if the fuse is blown or the light fuse is gone.

The regulator gets its power from the headlight, it won't charge if the headlight fuse is gone or you have

a 4 pin relay in the Start Relay position.

Short the white regulator wire to chassis to test the Battery Light, same with Oil pressure switch and neutral

switch to check those lamps.

The Fuel light will only come on if the fuel is low and it takes a few seconds.

The battery light circuit is separate from the charging circuit of the regulator so don't assume it's scrap 

because the light isn't going.

Invest in a Voltmeter if you really want to know the battery state.

• Like 1