Charging Issues-Very Odd

moto fugazzi

The battery is an odyssey, just over a year old. I just ordered parts, so it will be at least a week.. In the meantime, I replaced the aux lights and headlight with halogen bulbs, but left the dimmer module in place. I'll give it a test later today to see if: 1) the bike runs normal, 2)The charging system can handle the load. 

I wonder if these LED's have been what's causing issues with my Guzzidiag reflashes? If it's affecting the FI, what else is it affecting?

Ken

Just a small update here. I went for a long ride Saturday and noticed that my volt meter was reading 15.2V after I changed to Halogen headlight and aux. lights. When I turned on the high beam and lights, the VM quickly started dropping below 12.6V. I went back home and replaced the stock regulator with the Electrosport ESR510, and my lot readings are now at a more consistent 14.1-14.4, but the charging system still couldn't handle the halogen headlight and aux lights, so I changed back to LEDs. 

I noticed my bike also runs a tad bit richer (now at 13.0 AFR vs. the previous 13.3), and when the aux lights are turned on, the AFR jumps up momentarily, but then seems to settle back down to where it was. I should have the caps and scohttky in soon, so I'll see how that affects everything. So far, it seems like the ESR is helping the bike run better. This is a replacement regulator for the one they sent to me a few years ago, and didn't work properly. That thread is here: http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=18194&hl=esr510

Ken

I get so confused . . . :wacko: , does the ESR "plug and play" with the stock connectors?

No the ESR connects directly to the battery pos and neg, but you still use the existing yellow wires and the wires for the charge light indicator. It's a fun little project to take off the tank and run the wires up front to the new regulator.

Ken

No, it doesn't defeat the battery light. With the old ESR510, the battery light would go on anytime my voltage dropped below 14.1, and that was VERY annoying.

If your regulator is up to snuff, I wouldn't recommend changing it, but if it dies on you, it may be a worthwhile upgrade. I'm tempted to go with this upgrade from Guzzitech: http://www.guzzitech.com/store/product/eme-h-o-charging-system-upgrade/ as it would give me all of the power that I would need for add ons. If Guzzi doesn't offer a comparable bike to mine in 2015, I'll probably get this system and keep my bike for quite a while.

Ken 

This part is obviously meant for Tontis. Even for those the 80% improvement,  and the rest he's promising, too, are things he most likely won't be able to keep.

Commonly the rating of automotive parts is done for 12V, by the way, not 14V. That's quite close to cheating.

Hubert.

The ESR 510 uses the same pair of wires to deliver the Current as it does to measure the Voltage, If you extend the battery leads I suspect the extra Voltage drop will upset the Voltage a little.  Could this account for the light coming on under 14 Volts?

For this reason I mounted my ESR 510 right next to the battery and extended the yellow wires. Voltage drop in those is not measured by the regulator.

Sure, the charge light stays on longer than it did with the Ducati Energia, It works in a different manner.

Electrosport sent an outdated version, as I sent it in to be tested by them. They replaced it with the current version, and it seems fine so far...except for the fact that my bike is now running a tad bit on the rich side according to my AFR meter.

Ken

The starter is fine-I'm just having issues trying to start it after Guzzidiag.

I connected the diode and caps last weekend, and it seemed to help a little. It seems like the main thing that helped was the ESR510, but that caused the bike to run a little richer, but I decreased CO with Guzzidiag, and it's back in line. Most curious that a new voltage regulator would make the bike run richer, and I verified it on 2 different ECUs.

Without the additional circuit and the new VR, the AFR meter reads a little higher when the aux. lights are turned on, and with the circuit, it's even a little less, and sometimes even no change. Doesn't seem to be any kind of consistency here.

Ken

Can you verify by a plug chop that the bike is actually running richer?

I think the ECU is supposed to take Voltage fluctuations into account.

I'm wondering if in fact it is your fuel meter that's effected by the different Voltage.

I don't know how you could verify that, a more direct feed perhaps.

BTW, I'm in China for the next couple of weeks so I may get frozen off the forum.

Can you verify by a plug chop that the bike is actually running richer?

I think the ECU is supposed to take Voltage fluctuations into account.

I'm wondering if in fact it is your fuel meter that's effected by the different Voltage.

I don't know how you could verify that, a more direct feed perhaps.

BTW, I'm in China for the next couple of weeks so I may get frozen off the forum.

I'm an idiot. When running the power wires for the new ESR510, I disconnected the air temp sensor (to route the wires better) and forgot to plug it back in. I realized it last night, and plugging it back in with the fuel tank on and a hot engine was painful. 

That AFR meter is a blessing and a curse at the same time...

Ken