Swap out your Wheel Bearings

Kiwi_Roy

On a recent trip I had a front wheel bearing go (98EV 40k miles), I heard a couple of squawk noises and stopped to check it out. Part of the cage was sticking out and it looked like some of the balls were missing.

I stopped and bought a small can of oil and with a straw bodged up a makeshift oil can to dribble some oil in there and rode the bike back 60 miles to where I could buy a bearing.

Besides a little wobble now and then it rode fine on one bearing. By the time I got to a shop there were just 6 balls left, no cage. I was surprised to see no evidence that the inner and outer races had contacted. I think I could have ridden it a long way on just one front bearing, I don't know about the rear though.

$40 later I was back on the road but it spoiled my plans so with my tail between my legs I slunk off home.

Next day I bought 4 bearings for $35 and replaced both fronts (I don't like Chinese parts on my Guzzis)

The shop owner was surprised the Guzzi doesn't have a separate seal, only the bearings own seal.

I plan to carry a spare bearing or two on any long trip from now on, it's too hard to find a replacement in a strange town.

I guess what I'm trying to say is get a couple of bearings to have on hand, even a used one is better than none.

I'm in China at the moment could someone please add the bearing part No

Thanks

Roy

MG spare: GU92201821 (OEM FAG or SKF) Price:  € 26,80  :bbblll:  

Dimensions: 20x52x15 mil.

European standard:  Bearing No. 6304 ZZ or No. 6304 2RS  

(ZZ means cage sealed with steel, 2RS sealed with NBR) Price FAG/SKF aftermarket in Austria: € 5,00 - 6,00 - bearings also available in stainless steel.

http://www.skf.com/ca/en/system/SearchResult.html?search=6304

Gunther

Some of the V11's have different size front bearings. http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=18641

From Chamberlin:

I looked up the '99-'01 manual as well as the '01 - '02 manual, and those solid axle models also use two different bearings, the same 20x52x15 and 25x52x15 bearings as I am now using on my Ohlins setup.

So it seems that only the newer '03+ hollow axle bikes have a matching pair of front wheel bearings (25x52x15).

Ken