Dealing with the Recall

Woodburn

The recall notice specifically says to NOT ride your bike until the repairs have been made. I'm guessing it's going to be months before this whole process is complete. Is everyone included in the recall still riding their bikes? I'm a bit nervous about my rear wheel locking at speed!! I've had my bike one year and have 9,000 miles on it with no problems, but now I'm scared to ride it! Opinions?

Your back wheel can lock at any time on any motorcycle.

If the chain breaks at high speed on chain-driven motorcycle

- which is more likely than that your gearbox lock up you're

in big trouble. :o

You could worry about it and never get out of bed or you

could take your chances and live :bike:

:lol: ....well now, there's a slight difference here. Guzzi has already "planted the seed" in his mind that it "could happen".... likely or not.

It's one thing to say that any rear wheel could lock up given some odd scenario and write it off as unlikely, and another altogether to say the same thing once the manufacturer has issued a recall/warning. I don't think this result it is terribly likely mind-you, but manufacturers are typically reticent to issue such broad and catestrophic warnings, so it does have to make one think twice.

Another issue is liability. If in the odd chance the rear does lock, and he goes down... I think it would be unlikely, but is it worth the risk of a drawn out insurance battle if they fight the claim saying "you knew you were riding a defective bike"?

Just something to think about, unfortunate perhaps, but never-the-less.... :unsure:

Hopefully your experience with the recall/repair won't be too lengthy...

al

Thanks for the replies. I do have another bike (Suzuki Volusia), so it's not like I'm unable to ride at all. It's just that I'll be cruising.

I think Al makes a good point about the liability. With a letter from the manufacturer containing a warning in bold type telling me not to ride the bike, I'd say it's pretty much all on me if something went wrong.

I was just curious what others are doing. If the V11 were my only bike, I'm pretty sure I'd be riding it.

this spring the second bike is going into the garage, just not sure what it's going to be.

and yeah, i amaze myself at how much time i spend asuring myself that indeed, the front tire is not going to fall off this time at around 110 mph.

back to the "still riding" thing. i got another 3 months of winter, so i just hope i get my parts soon. and yes, i ran my bike hard this summer, i dunno, it did nothing wierd. i think it's more a preventative thing than a gonna die thing, like the pinto.

Your back wheel can look at any time on any motorcycle.

If the chain breaks at high speed on chain-driven motorcycle

- which is more likely than that your gearbox lock up you're

in big trouble. :o

You could worry about it and never get out of bed or you

could take your chances and live :bike:

Hi Goran,

I've had a chain bust on my old Honda CB350. Going about 50 mph (80 kph), it sucked the chain around the swingarm, and locked up :lol: No harm done though. God smiles on fools and children. And then, this puts me in the same league as TX REDNECK, I fixed it with baling wire (pronounced balin' war to us Texans). Baling wire is the stuff used to hold bales of hay together, and it has waaayyy more uses than duct tape.

Cheers,

Jason

PS: I'm with you- ride your bike :bike:

Guest John Sears

I had the same concerns, and since my V11S is my main form of daily transport, I'm very reluctant to stop using it unless absolutely necessary. I asked Micha at Moto International in Seattle what he thinks, and his suggestion was basically don't worry about it, keep riding it, and we'll get it fixed as soon as the parts come in and they can get me scheduled. So that's what I'm doing, and just taking it easy and paying attention to how the bike feels and acts. Hope that's ok...

John S.

'01 V11 Sport

12,000 mi, no problems yet

Guest jlburgess

I've got 12K miles so far with not a hint of trouble except the normal gear oil leak. I saw something about magazine types fragging their tranny. Not a suprise as they torture test everything and speed shift it liike it's an R6. I haven't seen anyone here have a problem(that's still living anyway). If you don't see a post from me in two months you'll know mine exploded! :bike:

I'm thinking if it works don't fix it and wait for clutch time......

have not heard anything from mg, but my dealer says I am on the list. Bike is now in shop 'til my ribs heal completely <damn hard asphalt> I hope recall work will be done while accident damage is repaired. Better be soon I am going into withdrawal real bad having not ridden for a month. Good news, dealer says I can use a loaner if bike is not ready, I guess it pays to deal with the same man since 1974 ,,, zzg-------Oh yea-----I'd ride it til it broke.