hi compression pistons

Guest callithrix

Guest callithrix

While on the East Coast I picked up a set of the FBF pistons and have yet to install them on my 2003 lemans. Bike is brand new and hasn't been run yet. I'm reticient on installing them due to concerns about pinging. From what I've read on the forum no ones encountered problems with them. I'm debating whether to break in the bike and then install them once I know that the bike isn't prone to pinging or just make all the mods initially and take it from there. I would like to inquire if the cylinder walls are Nikasil and can it be rehoned. thanks in advance. :bike:

The cylinder walls are Nikasil and will need to be rehoned with a boron ball hone. It's very easy, drill mounted... just insert, and a good couple times up and down the bore is all that is necessary... from what I hear from Mike Rich.

Can you take some photos of the FBF pistons, especially the crown? I forget who makes them for FBF.....

BTW, I don't think it will really matter whether you install the pistons now or later.

al

I think Wiseco makes the FBF pistons, could be wrong.

Also, does anyone know if either the FBF or Mike Rich pistons have a Teflon skirt on the pistons like the stock ones have?

Are the 03 pistons the same as the 02 and earlier piston? I know the 03 has some kind of oil jet for cooling and more lubrication. Something I would look into first before tearing into the engine.

Mike

Guest callithrix

Thanks ! Just to confirm the pistons are indeed made by Wiseco. After I bought them I tried checking the Wiseco website but was unable to find them. I suspect that Wiseco may make them exclusively for Fast by Ferracci, but maybe you can score them directly from Wiseco and save a few bucks. :thumbsup: From what I can see there is no teflon skirt on the FBF pistons. :bike:

After talking to Mike, I don't believe his have any special coating, and they don't have a "slipper skirt" either. But he explained why with his pistons this isn't a detriment, and is actually a "good thing"... unfortunately I just can't remember right now :rolleyes:

In regard to the oil-jets as of '03, I don't think those are integral to the piston?? The pistons should be the same.

...as an aside, did anyone else see that Victor from FBF is selling his 02 LeMans and buying a MV Brutale instead? I guess we won't see him too much around here anymore :huh2: I think he wants about $8.5k for it.

al

Guest captain nemo

I say drop in your Wiseco pistons now, why not? I have ridden a LeMans with these pistons and there was a very noticeable difference and no pinging. Also, Moto recommends Ross pistons which, they say, allows the spark to transverse the open space better. Still, I'm going to order the FBF myself this summer. At least I have ridden them and can vouch for them.

Someone did mention this on Wild and it made me curious: Do you have to alter cams or timing or anything else when you 'drop' in these pistons? I was under the impression that altering your map on the PC111 would be all that is required.

Guest callithrix

When I stopped in at FBF I was repeatedly told thet there were no adjustments necessary to accomadate the higher compression pistons;" truly a drop in kit" were the words reiterated. Being a New Yorker by birth I'm distrusful by nature but I'm getting soft living in Ca, so I'm gonna take their word on it. ^_^

Well.... the term "drop in" really refers to the engine not needing to be rebalanced. Otherwise, typically non "drop in" pistons would require a rebalance of the rotating mass.

That being said, "drop in" doesn't mean that they will run optimally if all things remain equal and one just "drops them in". To get the most out of the new pistons, you'll want to have the ECU fuel-mix adjusted, and/or a new PCIII map.

Mike Rich's new pistons also reduce the need for dual-plugging by allowing the flame front to traverse the modified crown, and modified the squish band to reduce the chance for detonation and increase compression.

I suspect different pistons have different sweet-spots, and it's too bad we don't have a nice and simple chart that shows the differences and applications for each :huh2:

al