Is this oil change really necessary ?

bikelee

I'm gonna put the V11 LeMans away for the winter. Soon the snow and salt will fly. I have 3200 miles since the last oil change ( last Fall ). Do I really need to do this ? I usually do this, I think just out of habit as I do not want dirty oil sitting in the crankcase all winter. Am I being OCD about this ?
If I do this oil change should I change the filter also ?
I see old wives tales debunked here such as " you must warm the oil first " before you drain it ".
Is the " oil must be drained and replaced before winter " another of these old wives tales ?
Just wondering what you guys thought. Thanks.
Leon

Personally I don't change the oils on my bikes too often. I use good ones, they are rated for 10000 and more. On the other hand it's very seldom that I use the bike for legs shorter than ~50 miles (commuting), so the percentage of water in the oil is rather low. I risk it to leave the oil in over these 5 winter months.

Fresh oil of course is better. It's a long time problem, I'd say. It's a bit the same as with dogs. We say a dogy year counts 7 man years. I don't know the factor that applies for Guzzi engines, anyway, in the end you'll probably not be able to tell what made you stop riding your V11, the missed oil changes or ageing in general.

Hubert

If it's stored in a heated enclosure with moisture control (a proper floor etc), I would change the oil "on time" - whatever that means to you. But realize we can ride a little every month here in the sunny South making me no expert on winter storage. :sun:

That said, by all means only drain warm oil as that better suspends all the particulates and nastiness you want to come out with the old.

The reason to change it BEFORE you put the bike into storage is that by products of combustion can produce acidic compounds in your oil that could cause damage if left to sit over winter.

That said, I store my bikes for the winter with the oil that is in them at the time. The only reason I would do an oil change prior to storage is if that change was due. In that case I would change the oil at the time of storage and not when I bring it back out.

Like others have said, use quality oil.

I did the oil and filter change after a great 4 hour ride. I feel better about having clean oil over the winter in the bike. I put a hose clamp around the filter so it would not loosen. I really love my 03 Rossa. It really is a hell of a machine. What more can I say. I appreciate all the advice and encouragement. Thanks.

Leon :oldgit: (Old Gitt)

:mg: