Battery trouble

czakky

Recently after returning back to town and greeting my v11 with open arms I thumbed the starter it cranked a little and started clicking.... Hooked up a fresh car battery to my battery and gave me the same thing, no start (read 11.2v at my battery).  Put it on my 1.5a maintainer overnight and I read 11.17v.

Now a quick little back story, I had a crash a couple months ago and the bike sat for a week before I tried to start it and I was good a few days later all my necessary parts installed to get me back on the road... no start. On with the maintainer overnight same thing, brought my battery back to the dealer (odyssey pc 545) and got my current battery on warranty. 

So basically the same thing happened to me twice with a supposedly good quality battery.

Is my maintainer giving me problems or is it my bike? Or is it bad luck with Odyssey?

I did just fairly recently replace my regulator with a drop-in ESR but I had no problems for a couple of months or so and had good voltage when running. 

Check the battery ground where it connects to the chassis, that's about the only thinng that would stop it cranking with a car battery jumpered across, either that or you don't have a good jumper connection.

Test your meter on another battery, say the car to prove it's ok.

Make sure your headlight is on with the key otherwise the Voltage reg will not turn on and the battery will go flat.

Fresh car battery is at 12.52v.@pdoz

Lord knows that after my melting wiring harness my ground stays clean. Also my starter connection is clean @ K-roy

I tried to look up what it is about certain chargers the odysseys dont like. I will try and return again.... But she did start and is seemingly charging.

I just retired a PC545 dated 12/2005. It was in the Sport 5 years, then in "swampee," the Cub Cadet garden tractor for 4 more (9 years of service: not bad!).

DSCN1938.jpg

Two other common sticking points in the V11 charging system: 1) inspect the 30 amp regulator fuse for melting or burned/charred blades/connectors, 2) remove the alternator cover, lie under the front of the motor and carefully inspect the two yellow wires leaving the stator as well as the flinky bullet connectors near or behind the oil cooler.

Mysterious things these Odyssey batteries. Stator and bullet connectors are in tip-top shape, per the wisdom of this board. Besides when I was having my serious grounding issues my 30a fuse has never had a problem with melting. It was also the first thing I checked when bike wouldn't start, now after getting it back on the road it melted pretty good...

Time to pull off the fuse box i guess.