2004 Cafe Sport, Possible purchase

bikelee

Saw this on Max's website today: http://maxbmwmotorcycles.com/machine/details.aspx?ID=7435 They want $6500. There is no service history, rear seat cowl or warrantee. I talked to a man named Zac there and he says no oil leaks, starts and runs good and looks real clean. Is $6500 too much ? The machine is 2.5 hours from me and I'm thinking about going to take a look. It might be a nice companion to my Rossa or are they too similar ? Thanks for any advice or help. Merry Christmas !!
:mg::oldgit: Leon ( OLD GITT )
modify_inline.gif    

To me that is on the steep side. Without knowing the condition of the bike in person let's assume it is in good shape. I would offer him less (maybe $5 or $5.5K and work up, but never going above $6k. But, that said, that is to me one of the desirable V11's. It has the better suspension bits. I would be happy to own one of those. But for $6500 it would have to be in perfect shape with a warranty.

As to how it compares to your Rossa, it seems similar to me but that wouldn't stop me. The wife and I own four Guzzi's.

For comparison, my Scura (which I bought last month) was listed at a dealer for $6,995. It had only 185 miles (not 13,000 like the one you're looking at). No warranty - it was on consignment. I paid the sticker price, but the dealer over-valued my trade-in and helped me with a few other discounts. To me, it was worth potentially paying extra for the rarity, and showroom-new condition. (Actually it felt like a steal compared to buying a new 2014 bike).

For the Cafe Sport, in comparison to the Scura: you can avoid the future costs of a new flywheel, re-springing the Ohlins, and repainting the engine. Apparently, all those future costs to me are offset by the little plate with the number 375 on the triple-clamp. 

The bikes are obviously and significantly different. Rossa is red. Cafe Sport is 50 shades of grey.