V11 sport 03 - starter motor

ports

Where is the nut that goes on the solenoid to starter motor cable ?

Good question ! I have no idea. Last time I pulled the starter was several thousand miles ago (and several hundred starts ago) last year when I was halfway up a French mountain pass changing the pawl spring with a monster hangover. I could well have taken it off then but I doubt it, and I doubt it would have taken this long for the starter to throw in the towel with such a loose connection. I am therefore blaming Guzzi vibrations, or the French (as we like to do in the UK). Knowing my luck it is probably lurking somewhere ready to jump in the rear caliper or destroy the new sticky rubber on the rear wheel that I have just invested heavily in.

If she wasn't so beautiful I would have left her years ago.

• Like 1

Whatever happened to Ports?

I love it when guys ask for help but never get back with how the issue was resolved.

You realize the missing nut is the reason the starter was not working ?

Oh yes, but it would not work with new nut installed, unless you count a one second horrible grinding noise and then lots of heat (both with the starter installed and uninstalled ,i.e., wired to a battery). It is definitely toast. I guess the loose connection could have knackered it ??

The noises could be lots of things. The nut is important because it provided a good connection between the solenoid and motor portion of the starter . I didn't know about the starter noises ?

• 1 month later...

Okay, if it's alright with you guys and while we're still on the topic of starters here is my issue. First let me say that all connections are tight, I have a new battery, and there is no corrosion anywhere.

The issue is is that when I go start sometimes it will fire right up and other times nothing. No clicking. Nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I put the bike in gear and roll it a few feet it will start. This problem kept getting worse until now it won't start at all. A few people have tried to explain it as a "dead spot" in the starter.

Any ideas? I pulled the starter today. Replace?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you hear the relay click? if not it could be the mythical bullet connectors.

Verify the starter by touching a wire from the solenoid trigger terminal to battery +, if it cranks it's obviously not the starter.