Running lights / brake light not working

onraad

If there is power at Fuse 6, then it is not likely the ignition switch and perhaps the high voltage has fried a variety of bulb filaments.

The bike is dying because the battery is not charging

The battery is not charging because the headlight is not going

Too much resistance in the headlight circuit will lead to Over Voltage

Do you have a 5 pin relay in slot No 1 (Start relay) it needs to be there.

Found it! The voltage regulator was the culprit. Replaced it and everything seems to be ok again. Lights, charging and instruments are back as new.

Only the dashlights are out, probably they didn't survive the voltage drops and peaks so still have to replace those.

Thanks for your help!

Congrats on tracking the culprit down.  

Have fun taking the dash apart to get to the lights, take note there are little black washers behind each of the 4 nuts that hold the back on.  Id suggest removing the three screws that hold the dash to its mount and watch out for the three toothed washers in between the dash and mount....getting them back in is the trick, I had to use a bit of vaseline type lube to hold them in place so I could remount the dash.  

Don't be too hasty blaming the regulator, in posts 10 & 15 you said the lights weren't working, they are independent of the regulator.

The lights should work when the key is on but you haven't started the bike yet (no charging) or even with the regulator removed from the bike.

The regulator relies on the headlight circuit to provide it with the 12 Volts it needs to operate, this is on the regulators black wire which plugs into the red/black wire downstream of the headlight relay. This same circuit also feeds the idiot lights.

I had to replace the light bulbs as they were blown. Probably due to the high voltage caused by the failing voltage regulator. I'll be cautious though and won't go too far... It'll take some more driving without issues before I feel reassured ;)