In with the old, out with the older...

Scud

Have recently turned old myself (50 last week and now apparently eligible to joint the American Association of Retired Persons :oldgit: ), my present was that I get to buy/sell/upgrade the bikes.  :grin:

I just sold my 2006 Husqvarna TE510 and still have my 1973 Honda CB350F listed for sale.

I was all set to pull the trigger on a 2015 Husqvarna FE501s, but figured I'd be pissed the first time I dropped an expensive new dirt bike. (I literally and figuratively rode my TE510 into the dirt).

Thanks to Craigslist, here's what came home for my birthday weekend (all for about 75% of the price of the new Husky):

1. 2007 Husqvarna TE450 - 1,600 miles, nearly perfect (mostly street miles), seriously upgraded (full Akropovic exhaust, Scotts damper, etc.).
  2. 2003 V11 LeMans - more details following the picture.

IMG_2961.jpg

More on the LeMans - it's mechanically rock solid, ITI odometer gave up around 5,000, but actual mileage might be around 10,000. The previous owner made several mods, but kept all stock parts (which I now have). 

While I like having two street bikes for when friends visit (or when one needs maintenance), I might prefer this one for long-hauls, because the fairing offers such excellent protection.  

I'll probably take it back close to stock. Fair warning, I'm going to have some electrical questions.......  :whistle:

:mg:  :mg:

Here's a close-up of how the PO did it.

IMG_2973.jpg

Pretty clever, I think. But I like the stock bar height, so it's all coming off soon (especially the blue hoses).  :luigi:

Hurray for box of stock parts!!!!

Is there much difference between the dual plate (lemans) and single plate (scura) clutch?

I always thought if I'm going to add a second bike for around 5k it'll be another spine frame.

I haven't taken it for a proper ride yet. But so far I'd say the difference is small. It does seem to have more torque reaction at idle than the Scura (the sideways twist while standing still and blipping the throttle.  Possibly a little slower revving than the Scura, but I also wonder if I'm trying too hard to notice the difference. The noise with the clutch pulled in is less pleasant than the noise of the Scura with clutch let out, but that's just personal preference. For comparison, I put a vented clutch cover on the Ducati I had, because I like mechanical noises.

However, the other differences are larger and taking my attention now. The PO is shorter than me and altered the riding position as follows:

1. Shorter rear spring (which lowered the back)
  2. Moved forks up in clamps (which lowered the front)
  3. Moved footpegs down and forward
  4. Bar ends (per above pic) that are much higher and further back

This was his last sport bike and he's on a gorgeous Guzzi California now. With all the height and control mods, it feels more like a touring bike at the moment.

Thanks guys. She's having a "time-out" right now for fresh fluids.

@Chamberlin - the serial number on the LeMans has a bunch of 1s, and ends in 58. So I guess it rolled out of the factory shortly after your "all 1s" 2003. I re-read your resto-mod thread recently. It's going to be very helpful.

• Like 1