Reg/rectifier bracket

grossohc

Out for a run and hear a bang, stop and check the bike and find the Reg/rectifier and bracket hanging off the bike. Lash it up and get home.  when i am taking it off notice that the weld has failed on one side where the bracket attaches to the frame and the other side has failed on the bend. Late last year i had to change one of the horns as the bracket had failed as well. Would it be vibration causing this!! :huh2:  as it seems like a weird thing to happen. Also while unplugging the rectifier i notice that the plug with 2 yellow wires is burnt and the wires don't look good on the loom side either. So i will have to take the sub frame out to get the bracket welded back on. Does anyone know a part no. for the male/female plugs used for the rectifier to the loom.

I don't know part numbers. But I was able to buy a "parts only" wire loom from a Ballabio for US$15 on eBay. I've been taking little bits off it to repair/replace some things on my LeMans. Perhaps you could find a similar loom there. Then you can splice new bits where you've had damage.

Have you considered a new voltage regulator - one that comes with the plugs you need?

Regarding the bracket, you can use QuickSteel, a two-part epoxy putty. The repair will be a little more bulky than a weld, but it's strong - and it will get you back on the road more quickly. You can always take it apart and have it welded later.

I haven't heard of the bracket failing, could you add a picture.

Sounds like another good reason for adding a ground strap (safety wire)

Both the plugs and sockets will need replacing. you might consider using heavy duty spade connectors, ring terminals with a nut and bolt or just plain old crimp links.

Spare us the wire nuts :homer: