Re-assembling Gas Tank

joe camarda

I should be picking up my repainted gas tank (white with red "custom" eagles and black MOTO GUZZI lettering) soon and am wondering about using a special sealant around the pet-cock mounting openings and other areas prone to gas leakage. Is there such a product? TIA :rasta:

Try Lowes' or Home Depot's adhesive section. Last night I saw a product that, I think, said it was made for sealing gas tanks, etc. I was looking for another product (the super glue Al used on his coils...didn't find it), so I didn't pay much attention to it.

Not that I know of per se Joe, although I don't think the stock petcock is really sealed with anything. I've taken mine off many times over the last few months working on my fuel-pump relocation project, and other than a smidgen of some red goop that looks like silicone gasket seal around the o-ring base, the threads were bare :huh2:

But it doesn't hurt to be careful, so sure, just go check the automotive section, and I'm sure there is some thread sealer that is fuel resistant.

I actually used Loctite Blue on my AN fuel fittings, but not really to seal them. The AN fittings seal themselves quite nicely, and once tightend seem impervious to loosening, but I just wanted a small bit of vibration induced loosening "insurance"... so I put a dollop of Blue on every fittings threads.

BTW, that "Super Glue" I used is by Devcon(who makes the regular Super Glue) and is called "Grip-Ton-Ite" ....green card, mustard yellow tube. See photo below :)

040_devgrip.jpg