2 wire alternator?

Craig

My VR bit the bullet.  Every VR I have found has 3 yellow wires from the alternator.  The VR on my bike has 2 yellow wires and the alternator has two coming out.

Can I just use two of the phases?

No, you need a two wire regulator either get an OEM from MG Cycle , an aftermarket from Electrosport or a Harley 2 wire.

Are you sure the regulator has quit, measure the resistance of the winding from yellow to yellow

Make sure the regulator has 12 Volts on the black wire with the key On (from headlight circuit)

Check the 30 Amp fuse is ok, the plastic hasn't melted

Have you added a ground wire from the case to engine?

Tell us what wire colours there are coming out of the regulator case, they seem to have changed regulators some time in 04

I have one of these on my V11 Sport, I like the direct connection type rather than the original which sensed the Voltage on the headlight circuit.

http://www.electrosport.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=esr+510

Well, the grounds were fine.  When I inspected the VR connector the contacts were incredibly dirty.  A few minutes with a file seems to have done the trick.  I did add an additional ground to the regulator and cleaned the batter ground as well.  Charging voltage is back up to 13.6.

I used a 3 wire RR recently on my 2002 Lemans.  Just used 2 of the 3 yellow wires on the RR, and it's charging like new now.  

I went through the charging system methodically, looking at the AC voltage, then a dummy load on the stator, still had good, solid AC volts.  So I then accused the RR...

Before, I was getting about 12.5V on he battery.  Now it's around 14.1 V.  The newer RR came from a Ducati, and I had been carrying it as a spare for years.  Then came the time that I needed one for the LeMans, and there she went.  

RR seems to run cool also...

Nice to know, thanks!

I used a 3 wire RR recently on my 2002 Lemans.  Just used 2 of the 3 yellow wires on the RR, and it's charging like new now.  

I went through the charging system methodically, looking at the AC voltage, then a dummy load on the stator, still had good, solid AC volts.  So I then accused the RR...

Before, I was getting about 12.5V on he battery.  Now it's around 14.1 V.  The newer RR came from a Ducati, and I had been carrying it as a spare for years.  Then came the time that I needed one for the LeMans, and there she went.  

RR seems to run cool also...

Stick, that surprises me, can you post the Ducati or manufacturers part No

Most of the three phase permanent alternator regulators I have seen operate on a different principle to the Guzzi single phase one.

The Guzzi Ducati Energia (I don't think related Ducati motorcycles) opens the alternator circuit when the battery is at full Voltage

A common three phase method is to short out the alternator. (no this doesn't harm it)

Perhaps your three phase reg from a Duc works the same as the Guzzi single phase one (might even be from the same factory)

Without knowing any details about the three phase type I still say No

Mr. Roy,

The RR is much the same as in a "diode trio" in a car alternator, except there are 6 devices wired to the 3 yellow wires.  So 2 wires have 4 devices wired to them.  It took the chance, and tried 2 out of the 3 yellow RR wires.  Seems to be very happy with the newer (2001 +) Ducati RR.  Granted, the newer DUC RR is sized for a 520 W, 3 phase stator, and the 2002 LeMans 2W (single ph) stator is, I'm assuming , around 350W output .   

I'll try to get the p/n from the RR, if I can see it. 

The other thing I did was run a pair of 12ga. wires back to the battery, to be sure to deliver the power to the battery (hey, the tank was off anyway) --I actually ran another pair front to rear "just in case" - fur future use...  

And I meant to mention that the new RR is not anchored to chassis.  No need.  Big wires for + and - to run right to the battery... And I don't like gound loops...

Stick,

I wasn't being critical, It sounds like that regulator is a good backup for the Harley single phase one.

The 6 devices are likely diodes but somewhere there will be one or 2 control devices either in series like the guzzi ones or in parallel like most of the ones used on Jap bikes.

Car alternators usually don't have any control over the 3 phases, they weaken the rotor field to reduce current like the earlier 80's Bosch alternators.

The Guzzi regulator has to be grounded because the return path is through the case, the main control components are bolted to the case.

$_57.JPG

Here's a pic of one from an eBay ad, that matches the numbers on the one that I installed.

They can be had for around $25 - $45 used.  I thought it was good insurance to carry one as a spare, so that's why I grabbed one.

Never needed it, until I bought this low mileage LeMans!