Engine case warranty swap started

Guest IanJ

My bike was picked up by Dave of Moto International today, and is being worked on even now to swap the engine case. They got all the parts in yesterday. As long as the engine is apart, I'm having them send it off to be balanced. I should have it back in a little while. Woot!

Great! ...keep us up to date on how it goes :thumbsup:

I'll tell ya what's interesting though. I've noticed on mine and other bikes that the black finish is heaving on other components like the transmission cases and pans... not as bad... but starting mildly in places near heat especially. It'll be interesting to see what happens over time with these other parts :unsure:

I'm waiting to hear from Moto Italiano for the actual date of my repairs so I can pre-order my parts from Mike Rich(pistons, cam, etc...).

al

I know that people were interested to know what the texture would be like. I took some pictures:

Pictures of the new case

The texture of the new case appears to be very close, but not exactly identical to the original finish. I can best describe it as being as if they'd left a sand-cast finish on the case, and then laid matte paint over that. The original finish (looking at my bike) looks to me like the roughness is in the paint, not on the case. I couldn't get the two pieces right next to each other, so I couldn't tell for sure if there was a difference.

Of course, these are just impressions, and I have absolutely no idea what differences may exist between the two cases. But feel free to peruse the pictures, if that interests you. Some of the pictures were taken with flash, some without. I apologize if the no-flash pictures are shaky, I didn't have a tripod handy.

Al: I haven't noticed any bubbling on other pieces than my engine case. However, I only just have 6000 miles on the bike, so I may not have ridden enough to get the other paint going.

Hrmm, that doesn't look bad at all, but it does look a bit different. It is hard to tell though without a side-by-side comparison.

Well, just post pics when it's mated up to the tranny, timing belt cover, pan, etc.... that will be the most telling :unsure:

Thanks for the update!

al

Yeah, we chatted about this in the other thread.... and from what I've seen all the new cases are serial# free :huh2: We mentioned that I guess one could get a serial# scribed on the block if it mattered that much to ya...

But I don't think it matters, after all the bike ID goes by VIN, not the block serial#, and in theory MGNA knows they sent one's VIN a new case :rolleyes: ....in theory :P

al

Guest dkgross

cool, Ian. Can't wait to see it.

I still haven't received any of my Guzzi Luggage that I was supposed to get instead of the new engine block...time to email Micha again..

got to put a quick 100 miles on in the cold today. Love my Gerbing ;) It was really nice to ride. been way too long ;(

I think the new engine cases look much better. The new substance appears to be some kind of properly baked on matte enamel. The old stuff look as if it was some kind of body shop rock guard out of a spray can.

One thing I would be very concerned about regarding resale value, is the serial number. It should be stamped to the original numbers. And the type os stamping should be of the same size/font as original. Or alot of very important documentation from Moto Guzzi [including you being allowed to keep the old cases for proof] stating why the numbers are now different. This can make a huge difference price wise if you were to sell it privatly later on.

Ciao, Steve G.

Good point about the serial number. I'll call MI and see what they have to say about it tomorrow, but I'm not that worried. Anyone who wants to buy my bike and is worried about it can call my dealer and confirm that I received a serial-less engine case without much trouble. I'm not planning on selling it for a while, in any case.

I do agree that MGNA should provide some documentation certifying that the engine case has no serial number, and explaining how that affects warranty, etc.

The frame number is the one used for VIN most everywhere. I was thinking along the same line as Steve G.

Fortunately, we're not talking about a H.D. here.

I could imagine a motor without a serial number being attractive to a thief.