tank suck

rossi46

guzzidiag does display "air pressure" which I suppose you could look at over a series of checks to see if it moves about with normal changes in atmospheric pressure.

I didn't look at the units - probably not PSI! Maybe kilopascals . . . :nerd:

I very much doubt the sensor failed, they are available because I bought one to replace the original I robbed for the MyECU.

I wonder if GuzziDiag has a readout for Altitude, if so you could suck on the sensor to prove it out.

If the vent was blocked off I would fix that first, the fuel pump may have been starved with the combination of high elevation and tank suck.

Do you recall if it ran better some times, like after filling up?

sorry Roy can't recall-have sorted my tank suck but there aren't any mountains to test here!!

I have never used GuzziDiag (I have one of Cliffs ECUs) but I imagine if you could attach a hose to the pressure opening you would be able to suck the pressure down and watch the effect on the injector timing or see the pressure change. If I recall it's quite easy to drop the pressure by 50 kPa

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/air-altitude-pressure-d_462.html

Suppose you had 20 kPa worth of tank suck at 10,000 feet the pump suction pressure would be

Do we have any process engineers on board?

sorry Roy can't recall-have sorted my tank suck but there aren't any mountains to test here!!

Rossi - Didn't you just have a problem at high altitude on your recent trip?

Why not zip over the Alps again - for "research" purposes?

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Just removed the tip off valve from my Tenni, was placed upside down form the factory in Mandello (according to the workshop manual) but also the hose that comes from the tank to the tip off valve was to short to place it upward, so I decided was better to remove the valve.

After the first trip I did with the V11, when I opened the tank cap I heard a strong suction noise and the tank expanded strongly in all direction because the valve was upside down.

Checking online it seems all the Tenni for US market had the same tank suction problem.

I was instructed to use "wire rope" to get the vents going. Some WD40 type "wonder-liquid" in the opening, the "wire rope" attached to a light weight drilling machine. After a while the rotating "wire rope" finds its way thourgh the blockage. Complete by blowing compressed air through.  Then separate hoses from the connection nipples which run to to convenient "end-locations" (no risk of getting fuel on to hot motor).

The filler drain plugging is a common problem on the Guzzis with steel tank and sunken filler (EV, Jackal etc).

Water from rain or washing collects under the cap and drops in un-noticed next time its filled.

The water causes the tank to rust, the rust plugs the filter, the bike starts to bog down on the hills. 

Heres what came out of my filter after back flushing, it completely plugged off the shop cloth.

FilterContents1_zpsccb88373.jpg

FilterContents_zps5304a7e6.jpg

And this is after I did it on the side of the road

To unplug the tank drain is a two beer job.