Our V11 Shaft drive lube points

Stick

Ok, So I see 2 lube grease fittings near the final drive.  One on the shaft, and one on the rear U joint.

I can get my grease gun to admit grease into the shaft zerk fitting, but cannot seem to push required grease into the U joint fitting, even with the zerk fitting point downwards at the 6:00 posiotion.  I thought that this would be the opimum postition for access for the flex line on my grease gun.  But NOOOOOOO....   After a few pumps, it became obvious that any additional pumping would be a mess on the outside of said fittings.  I even relieved the zerk ball with a pointy tool before trying.

Questions:  How many grease fittings are the shafts on our V11's?  3?   Shaft + rear U + front  U ?????

Q2: I assume there's one on the front U joint...   WHY don't we have as easy access to it as the rear U joint?

Looks like the rupture cage needs to be removed to access this fitting????  Looks like PTIA

Other  Q?:   Do I need a special, close quarters grease doohickie for my grease gun  for the U-joints?  Seems like the one I have must not have totally engaged to do the job...note the mess that occurred with repeated pumping. 

Any suggesions, help?

Q: Are there any other fittings on the shaft that I might be missing?

Q: Are there any other zerk fittings on the bike that fI should be greasing?

Yes:3 drive shaft Zerks; yes:PITA; yes:special fittings;yes:other places need grease (all of the "sealed" bearings (9?), and the outside/RH needle cage for the rear bevel drive), but no other Zerks that I recall.

Good that you're working through these, though! Your V11 will love you (back) for it! :wub:

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback!  And I was able to locate the ''that bloody expletive expletive front universal'' discussion.

Looks like I've got my work cut out for me.   Along with some new words to add to my vocabulary! :grin:

Thanks again, gents!

Stick

I got a swivel fitting for my greese gun from Ace hardware, it is about 2" long and swivels enought to engage the front zerk.

what is the diameter of your nozzle? I can't even get a regular one into the gap on the rear. Have to get a squirt from my mechanic's needle. I've seen the pictures of ground down tips but that wouldn't come near fitting on mine.

btw, when I did the spline it slurped up grease like a thirsty goat. Slurp slurp slurp .....ten squirts and I quit for fear it was going to come flinging out. Mechanic gave it more. Have to wonder if it was ever greased at the factory or since. If you have never watered a dry goat now you know how it drinks.