High beam indicator lamp

BMWDavid

I've never tried the high beam on my 2003 V11 LeMans until today. The headlight works fine but the blue indicator in the dash panel was intermittent. At first it barely glowed then it suddenly fully illuminated for a couple of seconds. Then it went back to barely glowing.

The same is true with the flash to pass switch. Before I go digging around I thought I'd ask the board for their ideas.

The other indicator lamps...turn signals, oil press., alt and low gas work fine. I'm guessing the ground is OK?

Thanks!

Seems those individual bulbs ground through their flinky housings and often loosen up. I seem to recall a method of epoxying them so they will maintain a constant ground (been quite a while since I've done that).

Not sure how hard that is to get to on a LeMans (on the Sport, it was not bad at all).

You know, though, it occurs to me that if that circuit has really never been used, that just using it for some time may restore the ground path. :huh2:

If you do go in, go in to the dash from the back of the gauges.

ie pop the gauge cluster free (disconnect speedo cable) and lay the cluster over the headset

then you can undo the nuts at the back of the gauges and access all the lights once you remove the cover.

If you come in from the front (those 3 wee allen bolts between the gauges) you will have to replace the plastic separator as the brass inserts will tear free

from their plastic homes.

the lights simply pull out from the back with their individual rubber housings

I didn't enjoy the vivid blue light, found it interfered with night riding here on dark roads 

While I had it apart I took some electrical tape and a needle and poked 3 holes in the tape

then cut a circle about the needle holes that matched the size of the lens and poked it in onto the lens from the backside

then replaced the light/rubber housing.

Way better night vision without the glaring light, still there 9 yrs later and no problem seeing the reduced blue light when high beam is on.