V11 Sport Wiring Diagram 2004

callison

Guest captain nemo

For those of us who don't follow these diagrams, could Carl or Doc or Al give us a brief synopsis in English showing us where the current starts and where it goes?

Starting from turning the key, what exactly happens? I know nothing about electrics and I'd like to get a start here. If someone could lay it out in a paragraph or so, I think I might be able to begin to ask a couple questions, and then the diagram would make a lot more sense to me.

Nemo,

That would be like telling you once and for all that there is no Santa. You're probably better off to marvel at the roar when you push the button.

I became afflicted rather early on. Instead of studying Algebra in eighth grade I thought it better to crawl under the dash of my brother's Austin Healey and attempt to make the little switch work that said "OVERDRIVE."

Never did get that overdrive to kick in ( I don't think it really had one, just the switch) but have been chasing ( chased by?) little electrical challenges ever since.

As the old Airframe and Powerplant (aircraft) mechanic once told me: " The hardest thing is to get the smoke back in the wires."

Nemo, the super-simple description goes like this:

* electrical energy is stored in the battery. When the key's off, that electricity is not routed anywhere on a stock bike.

* when you turn the key, a bunch of things get energized, most notably the fuse block, a bunch of relays, the fuel pump, and the ECU. The battery is the only source of electricity at this point.

* when you jab the starter, electricity flows through the starter switch to a solenoid, which in turn routes a whole lot of electricity to the starter motor.

* once the engine is running at sufficient speed, the alternator starts generating electricity, which is routed through the voltage regulator back to the battery.

* while the engine is running, the ECU is sending well-timed electric pulses to the coils, which convert it into high-voltage electricity, and send it to the spark plugs.

* all the while, when the key's on, lights, ECU, fuel pump, etc. are consuming electricity. If the engine's running fast enough, then the alternator provides enough energy to break even or charge the battery. At idle, and probably below about 3000 RPM, the alternator is not breaking even, and the battery is supplying some of the power rather than being charged.

Again, this is a super simple description, it's a lot more involved than that, but that's a basic overview.

Guest captain nemo

Ian,

Thanks partner. That's exactly what I was looking for. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Soon as the weather gets a little better and I get my tail lights on, we can go for a ride with Motomonster. In fact, this summer we ought to have a little V11 breakfast once or twice a month, meet the other Seattle riders and do a little showing off and scenic tour stuff.

• 6 months later...

Carl, i sent you a message about the link , above. Hopefully, we can get it up again as your diagrams are indispensible! :thumbsup:

I had to add this connection which is on the factory diagram but omitted from your draft of 11 October 2003:

It's so nice to see the little nerdy guys helping out the big greasy guys and vice-versa, without any grudges. Sorry about high school. We all get along, isn't it beautiful? Sniff.

Thanks, Carl.

Thanks for pointing out the ommisions and additions Docc. I've fixed them and uploaded the corrected images to my web site. Without the help of you guys that find these errors, I wouldn't have been able to do what I've done.

Oh yeah. This is for Nemo and the others. Jens at guzzitech.dk has a pretty well drawn set of schematics for his Guzzi (not a V11, but it won't matter when you look) done up as a .pdf document. The point here is, that he went through all of the effort to break the wiring down into ladder schematics etc (something I won't do...). It's a tremendously good document and although it isn't of a current bike, it does present everything in a much more understandable format then the original schematics. Once you've followed his breakdown through, you'll have a much better idea of what's going on with the electrics.

guzzitech.dk]guzzitch.dk

LM2 schematic.pdf

It's so nice to see the little nerdy guys helping out the big greasy guys and vice-versa, without any grudges. Sorry about high school. We all get along, isn't it beautiful? Sniff.

Thanks, Carl.

Hey! I resemble that remark! :nerd::luigi: