How to replace a stator on a MG V11?

j_o_h_a_n_v

Just 4 screws I think, may need to lever it out with a screwdriver to the steel part, don't lever on the coils.

How do you know it's faulty?

Measure the resistance between yellow wires, about 0.3 Ohms is normal, if it's open circuit inspect where the yellow wires are soldered to the coils.

With the bike idling you should read 15 - 20 VAC between the two yellow female bullet connectors, this will rise to about 50 VAC at 3000 revs

NOTE: The Volts here is AC (Alternating Current) not DC like the rest of the bike.

I'm with Kiwi Roy , how did you conclude the stator is bad ? 

The rotor is attached to the c/shaft end and the stator is attached to the timing cover .

V11Sport Alternator.pdf

As KiwiRoy said, it is held in with screws.

See picture attached, which should answer your question "But how is such a stator fixed to the housing? Glue? How to you get it to come out? And more importantly even: how do you get a new one back in?".

My alternator problems were cured by repairing bad connections in the yellow wires from the stator to the regulator, fitting a better 30A fuseholder than the one under the seat, and properly grounding the regulator.

Marty

Note; You don't have to pull off the rotor to remove the stator as it shows in the diagram Marty posted, that's more for if you need to remove the timing cover.

• Like 1