clean electrical connections

docc

I've been using Radio Shack Electrical Contact Cleaner and Lubricant.   I've never had a need for the stuff until obtained a Guzzi.

Does anyone know if this stuff is any good? 

e9162312-6891-46c5-94f0-05a9babe4696_zps

Electrical switches need different treatment than plugs and connectors. Exposure to oxygen and moisture are still the problem, but any protection product needs to be thin enough to quickly squeeze out of the way of moving contacts. I believe that Vaseline & DC4 are both too thick for switches which have light contact tension.

That Radio Shack Electrical Contact Cleaner and Lubricant is one of the many excellent products that do a good job of cleaning and lubricating switches & potentiometers. However, the lubricant left behind gives short term protection in the exposed environment of motorbike handlebars.

For my handlebar switches, I'm looking for something in between thin "Contact Cleaner and Lubricant" and thick Vaseline or DC4.

Lubriplate makes a product for automotive switches. https://www.lubriplate.com/CMSPages/GetProduct.aspx?productid=36

Unfortunately they don't ship internationally so I haven't used it, but someone in USA who has a problem with their ignition switch, or handlebar switches, could try it.

What's the point of promoting a product that's not available?

Petroleum Jelly may not be the best available product but it is readily available and 100 times better than not using anything at all.

I don't mean to argue but I've found it to be quite adequate for the last 50 years.

Cheers

Roy