Show Us Your Headguards

JesterGrin_1

I thought I would ask for luck in that maybe someone has 1 good head guard for a V11 that is if they will fit either side or a pair that has seen better days that I could use as a template?

Thanks One and All. :)

Gotcha covered on this, buddy. Found a leftover stock headguard from my 2003 crash.

Looking froward to seeing what you mash up! :luigi:

Will pm you and get this piece headed your way along with comparative measurements of my (sweet!, but NLA) Joe Kenney guards.

MartyNZ informs me that the last of the JoeKenney head guards are available from Motociclo in Australia:

http://www.motociclo.com.au/products/bikes-related-items/bike-accessories/moto-guzzi/general-big-block/square-fin-guzzi-head-p-0

(Joe made quite a few different designs. Mine are the "STD" ones just slightly larger than stock.  Seems Blueboarhound has some really interesting, more elaborate ones on his Daytona . . . )

Docc Thank You for the picture as it helps me visualize it before I get the moped in my garage. :).

But it does raise some questions that confuse me a bit. And that would be why use what appears to be factory length bolts to mount the head guards as what is left of the head guard to mount them seems pretty thin for something that if the bike is dropped would have to withstand some pretty heavy loads. Especially if the bike is moving.

What would be wrong in leaving the head guards at a full 3/8 th's (9mm) Thick at the center two bolt holes and clearance the outer two mounting bolt locations for correct fit up and use the needed length corresponding bolt lengths needed for the application?

Also I know we spoke about this but even though they are a little wider than factory head guards are they wide enough to protect the head and components?

Just some questions from the unknowing. :)

I know some things are meant for BLING but others are for Function and then BLING. :)

Head Guard.jpg

This is picture of Joe Kenny's "standard with holes" head guard. There are other versions over in that store in Australia. Link below. (Slow website warning).

http://www.motociclo.com.au/products/product-type/general-service/general-accessories/crash-barsengine-protect

JesterGrin, Good question on the construction and fastening of the head guards. I can think of two possible answers.

1. The Guards are designed to be sacrificial in a slide, protecting the engine. Bending, scraping or snapping a guard absorbs energy that you don't want transferred to the cylinder head. So you want guards to be weaker than adjacent expensive parts.

2. The valve cover screws are all the same length. If you made a guard that needed longer screws, there is a chance that someone may mix the screws; fit a short screw in your guard and a long screw somewhere else. This could mean a leaky valve cover as the short screw strips the top threads, and the long screws bottom on fins without clamping the cover.

BTW, I have an old plug & lead tucked away in the monkey paw trap, just in case... :D

attachicon.gifHead Guard.jpg

This is picture of Joe Kenny's "standard with holes" head guard. There are other versions over in that store in Australia. Link below. (Slow website warning).

http://www.motociclo.com.au/products/product-type/general-service/general-accessories/crash-barsengine-protect

JesterGrin, Good question on the construction and fastening of the head guards. I can think of two possible answers.

1. The Guards are designed to be sacrificial in a slide, protecting the engine. Bending, scraping or snapping a guard absorbs energy that you don't want transferred to the cylinder head. So you want guards to be weaker than adjacent expensive parts.

2. The valve cover screws are all the same length. If you made a guard that had longer screws, there is a chance that someone may fit a short screw in your guard and a long screw somewhere else. This could mean a leaky valve cover as the short screw strips threads, and the long screws bottom on fins without clamping the cover.

I understand this. I threw an idea out at Docc so before I throw it on the forum I will see how hard he laughs lol.

2. The valve cover screws are all the same length. If you made a guard that had longer screws, there is a chance that someone may fit a short screw in your guard and a long screw somewhere else. This could mean a leaky valve cover as the short screw strips threads, and the long screws bottom on fins without clamping the cover.

Ok you have me as I tend to take things like this for granted in that people would check these things before torquing things down of which in general I should not do. I mean heck it is only 4 bolts lol. 

The Allen screw head is also a close fit inside the guard, if you look at guards that have been down a time or two they obviously do a great job

Sent from my shoe phone!

BTW, I have an old plug & lead tucked away in the monkey paw trap, just in case... :D

+1! I would never leave home without spare plugs and resistor caps on board.

The factory guard was not quite enough to protect the resistor in my 2003 slide, although the plug tip bent, it did not break. This led me to add the extra 3mm guards.

• Like 1

Here is another Joe Kenny style, next to a MotoBits guard that I had powdercoated flat black. Both of these guards are a bit thicker than stock, and have recesses for the bolts.

IMG_5599.jpg

And these trellis-frame guards are available from Harpers in silver or black. I got black, but the anodization went to purple in only a few months... so now they are powdercoated flat black. No recesses for the bolts on these guards. Harpers sells them with new bolts - some of which are extra long to accomodate the thicker guards.

IMG_5600.jpg

Ok well when I eventually get one of these in my sweaty hands what I plan on doing is maybe making a new set of course with a hand saw and file and drill press lol. And then fitting a piece of HDPE Delrin to the outside by using a groove just as thick as the head guard to slide into and retain them with a couple of through bolts stainless steel of course. That way the HDPE Delrin will give a bit more space between the important parts of the head and spark plug and resistor and yet be a replaceable wear item.

I know the material comes in Black and White but by request of a Door Knob Tooth Puller I am going to look into Red lol. :)

On a side note I have seen some with those round things like the sport bikes use but I really feel they look out of place on these types of Moto Guzzies and they look butt ugly lol.

A replaceable wear item?

Just how often do you intend to fall off LOL

Heck with my physical problems I hope to keep it down to one time a day lol. :)  On second thought I have not see crash bars for the LeMans? Maybe some with small wheels lol. :)

Jester - did you find a guard yet? I have at least one damaged OEM guard that I could send your way.

By the way, what do you mean by "...request of a Door Knob Tooth Puller?"

Jester - did you find a guard yet? I have at least one damaged OEM guard that I could send your way.

By the way, what do you mean by "...request of a Door Knob Tooth Puller?"

Thank You for the offer Scud but I can wait for the ones on the bike when it shows up. Just my ADD showing lol.

Door Knob Tooth Puller, Dentist lol. :) Just a funny Ha Ha lol.