grrrrr, waiting for parts

dangerous

That front crossover on 03/04 models is supposed to improve mid range power. Do you remember saying that my bike had a more noticeable power band than yours, with the same top end power. Your bike is helped by that front crossover. It is probably worth keeping, especially since your bike now has a combined rear crossover/muffler.

You could try making temporary gaskets using wraps of glass fibre cloth interleaved with red RTV. Let me know if you need some glass cloth.

To buy new crossover gaskets GU9113230, two places in USA I know of have them.

Moto International has them for US $15 each.

https://www.motointernational.com/store/product/GU91113230

Harper's has them for US $17 each.

https://www.harpermoto.com/front-crossover-gasket-v11-91113230.html

You could try making temporary gaskets using wraps of glass fibre cloth interleaved with red RTV. Let me know if you need some glass cloth.

More than one way to skin that cat.

i-krSxbBS-XL.jpg

Hey, we only went those lengths because the ones we made the prior year from DosXX bottle caps didn't hold. :whistle:

Well, that and the crossover pipe went bounding down the road at speed . . . :o

• Like 1

Does the term "Red neck engineering" ring a bell here? :grin:

• Like 1

Does the term "Red neck engineering" ring a bell here? :grin:

Hey! i resemble that remark!  :blush: 

In that we were a couple hundred miles from home, "field expedient" seems more flattering . . . :helmet:

what kind of tape is that?  I might need it someday.  

From I have learned, that might be the only sure fire way to fix that crossover without buying new headers (with no crossover). 

(messy) self-adhesive, heat hardening exhaust tape Josh knew about and came from an "AutoZone" down the street. We were actually stranded in the parking lot of a Guzzi dealer if that says anything about  :notworthy: Josh's resourcefulness.

Like this stuff: http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/vehicle-fleet-maintenance/automotive-detailing-interior-/vehicle-cleaners-waxes-polish/muffler-tailpipe-wrap-00270-2-x-36-tape

The guy with the Rosso Corsa went on the have the bungs welded up and eliminate the crossover.

That front crossover on 03/04 models is supposed to improve mid range power. Do you remember saying that my bike had a more noticeable power band than yours, with the same top end power. Your bike is helped by that front crossover. It is probably worth keeping, especially since your bike now has a combined rear crossover/muffler.

Are there any dyno charts that compare this quantitatively on a single bike? It's just that there are so many parameters between two separate bikes' *feel.*

That front crossover on 03/04 models is supposed to improve mid range power. Do you remember saying that my bike had a more noticeable power band than yours, with the same top end power.

Are there any dyno charts that compare this quantitatively on a single bike? It's just that there are so many parameters between two separate bikes' *feel.*

Oh yes, on the controlled environment of Coaltrack Road Raceway, Dangerous used a time honored & proven power assessment tool.

That was mostly roaring down the road and comparing the result against a calibration chart that read:

Yawn, meh, ok, alright, great, awesome, f?#k.

Not very accurate, but improves with the retelling. :grin:

• Like 2

That front crossover on 03/04 models is supposed to improve mid range power. Do you remember saying that my bike had a more noticeable power band than yours, with the same top end power.

Oh yes, on the controlled environment of Coaltrack Road Raceway, Dangerous used a time honored & proven power assessment tool. That was mostly roaring down the road and comparing the result against a calibration chart that read:

Yawn, meh, ok, alright, great, awesome, f?#k. Not very accurate, but improves with the retelling. :grin:

Ah, technically speaking, then: palliative resolution of cognitive dissonance. :nerd:

Oh yes, on the controlled environment of Coaltrack Road Raceway, Dangerous used a time honored & proven power assessment tool. That was mostly roaring down the road and comparing the result against a calibration chart that read:

Yawn, meh, ok, alright, great, awesome, f?#k. Not very accurate, but improves with the retelling. :grin:

Ah, technically speaking, then: palliative resolution of cognitive dissonance. :nerd:

And don't ignore the performance enhancements gained from washing your bike. 

However DD may be able to advise you on pallating dissonance.  :huh:   

Of course, I shouldn't joke, it is DD's bike that is stuck in a shed. He won't think it is funny at all.

As for validity, I have heard that NASA tested numerous methods for obtaining correct torque on a fastener and found no more accurate than the hand of an experienced technician. While that may (or may not) be *urban legend,* it is well known on the racing circuits that some drivers have a dyno-tuned ass. Say, Niki Lauda for instance:

tumblr_o9pwgiCFNe1vvj63co2_r1_500.png