TPS setting

BigBlock

I recently installed the MG Ti exhaust and Ti ECU after which I did Doc's decent tuneup, valves set at 0.006/0.008, TP at 150mv and TB balanced.  The bike runs great.  I'm just curious why the instructions that came with the Ti kit  says to adjust the TP to 550 mv +/-5 mv.

I recently installed the MG Ti exhaust and Ti ECU after which I did Doc's decent tuneup, valves set at 0.006/0.008, TP at 150mv and TB balanced.  The bike runs great.  I'm just curious why the instructions that came with the Ti kit  says to adjust the TP to 550 mv +/-5 mv.

As I see it, the baseline TPS setting is done with the RH throttle valve fully closed - not on the grubscrew stop, but actually blocking the throttle body. This is below the idle position.

You will have to release the link between the TBs, then check that the RH butterfly is not touching either the throttle stop or the idle-up stop to do this.  

The TPS voltage should then be below 157mv and anywhere in the range of 150-156 is good.

The workshop manual actually says 150mv.

After setting the TPS,  you hook up the throttle linkage, which opens the throttle to an idle position. The TPS voltage will rise as the throttle is opened from full closed to a normal idle position.

Then comes TB synchronizing...

My TPS voltage is about 155mv fully closed, and 535mv when ready to ride.

Though I notice the idle is a bit too low at the moment, so I expect that I would see 550mv (ish) after I wind in the LH throttle stop screw a tiny bit.

If you set 550mv on the TPS when the RH throttle valve is fully closed, then it will run really badly, with lots of spitting, before it pops the throttle bodies off the rubber sleeves. Not nice! (Don't ask how I know this) 

• Like 3

Haha  - "MG instructions . . . not great." Something lost in the translation there? Fortunately, we have a dedicated team of *English* speaking New Zealanders to translate the *English* translation from the Italian to Canadian *English* in a way that we Uh-mer'can *English* spakers can get it, too. ;)

Wait 'til dangerous chimes in. I absolutely love his personal version of *English* . . . :o

So .  .  . as Marty says, it's the fully closed baseline that matters. Several respected sources have stated not to worry about where it (the TPS mV or its "degrees opening," or the RPM) ends up at idle. Get the baselines set and set the idle at *happy-happy-happy*.

If your V11 gets anywhere near "potato-potato", your idle is probably too low and your beautiful Italian mistress may stab you for no apparent reason.  :huh:

• Like 3

I got the baseline set at 150mv and the idle is at *happy-happy-happy*(1200rpm)  Yeah there was some other words I was going to throw in regarding the MG instructions, will just leave it at not great! :rolleyes:

• Like 1