Motobits shifter tune up

not-fishing

My Rosso Corsa has been shifting progressively worse and worse.  After a commute yesterday I realized it was time to see what is going wrong and how to fix it.

Here's a stolen (Slug) pic of the shifter.

PDRM0021.jpg

Basically the shifter was loose so I took the footpeg and shifter assembly off the bike.  

It's really kind of Micky Mouse because it uses a sleeved bolt to move the linkage out from the actuating arm attached to the shifting shaft.  This is mandated by adapting bracket, adjustable shifter and new footpeg assembly.  I can see why Motobits designed the forward + drop footpeg assembly and it may be the best compromise.  Still it's going to need maintenance and will not be a set and forget shifter.

So my being basically a Construction worker, I put the shifter arm assembly in a vice I beat on it with a (very small for me) hammer and straighten out the arm offsets to 90 degrees.  Then I reinstalled the arm so that it was as far out on the shaft as possible while keeping the 5mm cinch bolt in the output shaft slot.  I attached the shifter arm at a slightly less than 7:00 position and put the rest of the assembly back keeping the offset bolt+sleeve portion fairly tight.

This necessitated a back roads Bonzai ride last night to test out the new LED Headlight bulb and shifter everything works great!    :D

Mark

by that photo, all you said I can agree with.

mickey mouse

best compromise

will need maintenance

I can't make out where you would have used a hammer to make any of it better, tho hammers carry much respect here :thumbsup:

The pivot arm from the footrest end (pointed down) could use a couple of clicks forward imo, to make it parallel with the linkage arm. That should slightly increase leverage and make push and pull more consistent.

The sleeved bolt on the actuating arm will want to be snug at all times, as it looks like a weak/flex point to me.

I'm curious to know if you used the stock set-up prior to that installation? (for comparison) Either way, glad it's workin for ya! :race:

I can't make out where you would have used a hammer to make any of it better, tho hammers carry much respect here :thumbsup:

The pivot arm from the footrest end (pointed down) could use a couple of clicks forward imo, to make it parallel with the linkage arm. That should slightly increase leverage and make push and pull more consistent.

The sleeved bolt on the actuating arm will want to be snug at all times, as it looks like a weak/flex point to me.

I'm curious to know if you used the stock set-up prior to that installation? (for comparison) Either way, glad it's workin for ya! :race:

I'm at least the 3rd Owner so who knows how the original install was.  

The shifter instructions are to put the pivot arm at the 7 o'clock position - I'm probably at 6:45.  I did move the shifter back a little.

Yeah the sleeve bolt - that's the sloppy point that will need attention every 10,000 miles or so.

Mark

I've used the Motobits setup for many years now.  It works well and I still really like it.  Just like the stock setup it needs to be disassembled, cleaned and lubed every once in a while. 

I wasn't crazy about the non-folding footpegs so added folding pegs and put rubber covered tips on the shifter and brake levers.

I haven't had any problems at all with the long sleeved bolt itself, but you should be aware that it puts much more torque on the tip of the stock shift link that attaches to the shifter shaft than the stock linkage does.  Other members here (Slug?) have had that part break at the first bend above the tip.  I checked mine out a few years ago and it was starting to crack so I put a new one on then had the old one welded with bracing to beef up the tip.

Here's a pic of my shifter side before beefing up the stock shift link.

IMG_0246b.jpg