Jackal fork disassembly?

barnett468

I have a 2001 Jackal and have read some descriptions of how to disassemble the forks but they are not clear or complete . The tubes are on the bike and the bolt has been removed from the bottom but the lower legs stop when they are nearly off.

Do I need to remove the circlip on the seal then yank hard on the lower leg so it pulls the seal out of the lower leg?

Thanks for any help.

Why are you wanting to completely disassemble the forks?

i want to replace the seals then repaint the lower legs . i can paint the legs while the forks are assembled if necessary but i need to know how to remove the seals.

So . . .  those are not like V11 LeMans/Sport ("up-side-down") forks at all. But, there are some guys here that know those Tonti forks. We'll have to wait on the time zones to shift between Indiana and Bungendore . . . .

Stand by . . .  :mg:

I'm not sure whether to move this thread to "Newer Models" or "Older Models", so let's let it run right here for a while to see if we get some good replies. :luigi:

I'll edit the title to get the attention of The Knowing. :mg:

The Jackal workshop manual is available for download here:

http://www.thisoldtractor.com/moto_guzzi_tonti_workshop_manuals___shop_manuals___service_manuals.html

and FAQ here:

http://www.thisoldtractor.com/moto_guzzi_tonti.html

The manual mentions removing an "open washer".

thanks . i looked in the manual but couldn't find the page i need . i have never seen such an odd manual before . i really just need someone to tell me if i just yank on the lower leg until it comes off like the japanese bikes.

probably have an answer in 30 minutes if you post over at wildguzzi.com

It's been 10 years or so since I did that job, I think you just yank them off but don't trust me on that.

probably have an answer in 30 minutes if you post over at wildguzzi.com

It's been 10 years or so since I did that job, I think you just yank them off but don't trust me on that.

Agreed, there are a lot of Tonti people at WG. I can't imagine that there is any rocket science involved, though, but I've never had a Jackal fork apart.

ok, just yanked on them hard and it feels like the bushing on the tube is going into the seal as if the flat washer under the seal was missing .  i then just kept constant downward pressure on the lower leg while twisitng it and it came off so the bushing on the tube does pass the bushing in the leg.

the washer is also in place so the bushing on the tube passes it also because the id of the washer is the same as the id of the tube which is unlike most japanese bikes . this is assuming that the id of the washer has not been enlarged by a previous owner.

Any tips on removing the seals from the legs?