Clogged gas tank vent, or ?

inkblot

Rubber fuel lines can rot - so that seems legit.

But I think you can get into the tank. The fuel door can be removed, and so can the fuel pump. Both of those are large enough for small hands to get into the tank. I haven't had occasion to do this myself, but here's what I believe: if something can be installed in the tank, it can also be replaced. It's not like the tank was molded around the rubber hose - somebody installed it after the tank was formed. So no, this does not pass the sniff-test. 

Also - a little water in the fuel is not such a big problem with fuel injection (as it is with carburetors).  The water will just mix with the fuel as it recirculates - as opposed to pooling up in the float bowls of carbs.

@Footgoose No, not selling because of this issue- I'm selling because I just never ride anymore. I bought the bike new, and I've only put 2k miles on it over its life; it seems like a waste- someone else should be enjoying this bike. I had not done a great job of maintaining the bike while stored, so I decided this was the year that I'd address everything and send her out into the world :) It's bittersweet, of course, because the bike now runs great, looks great and always stands out in a crowd.

Jake

@Scud Have you heard of anyone successfully doing this kind of repair? When I look at it, I can't imagine getting a hand in there enough to replace an internal hose. 

Cheers,

Jake

@Scud Have you heard of anyone successfully doing this kind of repair? When I look at it, I can't imagine getting a hand in there enough to replace an internal hose. 

Cheers,

Jake

Maybe I'm not understanding the issue? Pull the pump assembly out of the porthole, fix whatever needs fixed, and put it back. (?)

@Chuck

I certainly don't know enough about what's needed to suggest that you're wrong! That said, it would strike me as odd that the shop wouldn't have done this (or at least suggested it) if it were possible...

I gather that the hose which needs replacing is inside the gas tank, and runs between 2 fittings (one at the top of the tank, part of the filler assembly, and one at the bottom of the tank) which are both glued (?) into place within the tank making removal a very difficult (and perhaps destructive) process.

Again, this is just what I've been led to believe, and might be wrong. I hope it's easier than I think.

To the best of my knowledge.. it's easier than you think.  :)

Unless they are different than the Rosso Corsa (I seriously doubt that, knowing Guzzi).. everything inside the tank is attached to the plate on the bottom of the tank.  :huh2:  

Of course, I'm willing to be proved to be a dumbass.. :oldgit: