lemans FBF pistons

Guest callithrix

Guest callithrix

Well I bit the bullet and installed the FBF pistons on the 03 lemans ( it's brand new and has 7miles on it) . It was remarkably easy . The engine layout is wonderfully accessible, it was so much easier then when I did the 1200 conversion on my sporty.The tank comes with quick release connectors, NICE!

The FBf pistons are higher domed but the skirt is shorter and the build quality is excellent in comparison to the MG pistons.One of the hardest parts was installing the circlips on the wiseco pistons they don't have grab points on the ends of them like the OEM pistons. The second hardest part was moving the intake boots out of the way so that I could remove the heads. I installed the cylinders by myself. Cylinder installation was facillatated by assembling the piston and cylinders together and then sliding themdown the studs and attaching the rod to the wristpin assembly on the piston. If you have an extra set of hands at your disposal its' even better; but I'm use to working alone and sometimes extra hands get in the way, you decide.

I looked over my copy of Guzziology and followed Richardsons advice that I didn't need to rehone the cylinders. He believes that nikasil wears very little and therefore retains it's microscopic rough surface. He states it's surface may actually be comprimised by honing and that he hasn't known MG rings to not seat properly.(Please verify this information first, I don't want to misqoute or mislead anyone) I figured since the bike has so few miles on it, and that on that on visual inspection the cylinder walls looked just like my sporty cylinders did after I got them honed, what the hell. Richardson also adds that cirlips should be carefully monitored since they wear on the inside surface closest to the rod pin, which can lead to potential castrophe should they break. While he doesn't advocate tearing apart the engine just to change out the circlips he doesn't think it's bad idea to change them anytime you have access to them.

I also took his advise on torqueing the heads to spec then letting them sit overnight and then torqueing to to specs again to allow the new ( and thick gaskets) to compress and to accomodate for the new gaskets when setting the valve clearance by adding .002" to your valve settings. I suspect I didn't need to change out the head and base gaskets since the bike had so few miles on it. They looked brand new and were visibly uncomprmised by disassembly but I put new one on anyway. I also replaced the little orings; better safe than sorry.

As an aside I ordered the head and base gaskets from Joe Eish from the MGNOC newsletter. He offers a discount on oem parts and only sells to MGNOC members. That alone is worth the price of membership. He is also a geniunely nice and helpful person, he's a pleasure to deal with I highly reccomend him. Very timely delivery as well. :thumbsup: Would also like to reccomend the guys at Moto Italiano Jason, Roman and Mike ( thanks for letting me see the pictures of Cappirossi at the Spain GP), great guys and true aficianados. If you ever get a chance stop by you should, they run the coolest shop. They really appreciate their customers.Very rare but greatly appreciated. Always leave there feeling great.

I'm still buttoning things up so I haven't had a chance to test out the mods. Still debating whether to break in the bike on the dyno or slow like the manual. Also changed out the stock brake pads to Ferodo and changed out the oil to dino juice. :bike:

...ah, so you sold the '02?

What '03 model/color did you get?

Keep us up to date on the piston project for sure, and if you have ~$75 lying around, it would be great if you could run down to Hare Racing and get a dyno run since it sounds like this mod was done by itself, and we could get a good measure of it's sole impact :thumbsup:

I hope to be heading down there myself this weekend or early next week for a dyno run for the dual-plug eval if my exhaust clamps that Jet-Hot forgot to mail show up :wacko:

It's too bad we don't have two bikes, one with the FBF pistons, and one with Mike Rich's... to compare their relative strong suits.

al

It's too bad we don't have two bikes, one with the FBF pistons, and one with Mike Rich's... to compare their relative strong suits.

al

Also, if callithrix rode the bike stock for some time, maybe even dyno it and THEN installed new pistons we would have a really good insight what these pistons are good for in a objective, "scientific" way.

al

Also, if callithrix rode the bike stock for some time, maybe even dyno it and THEN installed new pistons we would have a really good insight what these pistons are good for in a objective, "scientific" way.

:lol: ....or hey, maybe he could just reinstall the stockers for us? :rolleyes:

:P

Although your point is true, I suspect would could just take another stock '03 LeMans dyno for a "close enough" benchmark.

al

Guest callithrix

I bought a 2003 black lemans and in addition to the FBF pistons a FBF exhaust,FBF intake and stucchi X over with a power commander. I'm also running magnecor wires and Bosch platinum tip plugs.Hope it's not no bad outside tomorrow I'd like to ride :sun::bike:

Guest callithrix

I'm gonna Run the map I had for the 02 lemans and then get mapped once I get it broken in. The map was for the same set up except for the pistons. How does your set up run? Any pinnging or lean problems? What are your observations? :bike: