Headlight beam

Troutman

On 9/28/2017 at 7:28 PM, Troutman said:

Anyone know if the headlight is "sided" 

Yes, the dipped/low headlight beam is directed down and left in NZ, Australia, Japan, Southern Africa, UK. Most European & American countries have the low beam offset to the right.

In an H4 headlight with an incandescent/halogen bulb, this low beam deflection is done by the headlight lens. Other than pointing the headlight beam at a wall, the only way to tell if an H4 light is for LH or RH traffic is to look for the little arrow molded into the lens. If you have the arrow, you are good for LH traffic in Scotland.

At least you are good until brexit kicks in, and Scotland secedes to join the EU. Then you will have to get serious about the metric system. Don't throw away your km speedo. Just because the British invented wonderful units of measure like Hogsheads per fortnight for fuel flow, it is not a good reason for Scotland to keep using it.     :lol: . 

Some LED lamps also have some offset built into them. I needed to "adjust" the H4 adapter that came with a Chinese LED lamp to fix the weird low beam pattern that only suited RH traffic. The combination of RH lamp & LH lens made a slanted mess instead of a beam.

Headlight Offset.jpg

• Like 1

Troutman, on that bike you imported it will have the left hand drive headlight lens, in order to comply it will need changed. Price one from a BMW dealer for a R100/7 is should be better priced than one from a Guzzi parts supplier. Some Ducati models also use the same Bosch lens. I had to convert mine when I bought my  bike in from the US. The Bosch part number for the lens is 1 305 604 018 (lower right of lens) On the right hand side of the lens  under the E1 mark is a directional arrow which points to \the left which is what you want.

Rob