MAGNI Fairing Owners...

aquila

First, I gotta say how much I like the look of a Magni 1/4 fairing on the V11.

I looked at the Italian Magni website, and I have some questons...

1. How much is that thing? $1500??? Ouch...

2. Are the mirror holes already drilled in the fairing?

3. Do I have to run their bars, or will my stock clip ons work?

4. Pro's and Con's?

I'd love to get the fairing with no mirrors or bars, and for less than an arm and a leg...

First, I gotta say how much I like the look of a Magni 1/4 fairing on the V11.

I looked at the Italian Magni website, and I have some questons...

1. How much is that thing? $1500??? Ouch...

2. Are the mirror holes already drilled in the fairing?

3. Do I have to run their bars, or will my stock clip ons work?

4. Pro's and Con's?

I'd love to get the fairing with no mirrors or bars, and for less than an arm and a leg...

Just take a look on the site of Theo Lammers, www.tlm.nl

On his site the Magni costs 1080,00- Euro

I don´t think the sending costs around 500 dollars!

ciao

Hello Aquila,

Antonio already answered question #1 so i can talk about the others.

2) mirror holes are drilled in the bracket but not on the fairing, as far as I remember. You will also have to drill holes for the windscreen.

3) I don't know cause I was already using lower bars.

4) Pros : the look!!! :wub:

nice finish

good protection

Cons : not very easy mounting -> be patient and cautious specially with the V

bracket that is NOT symetrical (I lost 1 hour and folded 2 screws

before I admited ther was a problem with this bracket position). :homer:

Check there are no contact specially between fairing bottom and fork

tubes.

higher "dirty"noise level. The fairing amplifies engine noise

Aniway, I think it is a worth-while job and I just can encourage you to do it. :bike:

Cheers.

Pierre

Hi,

As far as the price is concerned, there are no distributors in Canada so I purchased directly from Magni. I would not have paid what distributors in the US were asking.

Pierot makes some good points - I too had to spend some time getting the fit just right - but it can be done with patience. The stock clip-ons will not work.

On the up-side, the finish and colour-match (green in my case) is superb. Wind protection is actually very good with no handling issues and an improvement when compared to naked. The mirrors work just as well as the stock ones (slightly less shoulder in the view) and I do not find the engine noise to be a problem.

I have also used the additional space above the headlight to re-locate the fuel filter (see VL thread...jury still out on this).

I too am recommending this fairing.

Gio

[quote

Just take a look on the site of Theo Lammers, www.tlm.nl

On his site the Magni costs 1080,00- Euro

I don´t think the sending costs around 500 dollars!

ciao QUOTE]

1080 Euros = 1,350 US Dollars, plus shipping.

Still pricey. I wonder if you can order it sans mirrors.

Also, if you have to use the Magni bars; Are the factory clip ons too low or too high?

Thanks for all the advice here...

I've purchased 2 Magni fairings (first one was destroyed about a month after installing it). First was purchased from Agostini, and the second was purchased directly from Magni. Price was about the same, but shipping to the US was much simpler with Agostini - for some reason, Magni used a shipping broker, and I had to deal with all sorts of customs paperwork and shipping company issues, whereas the Agostini-shipped unit simply arrived on my doorstep with no fuss. Both companies were a pleasure to deal with. All my correspondence was via e-mail and I paid them via wire transfer.

At the time that I purchased them, I think I got them for less than $800 US - but at that time the Dollar and Euro were virtually equal. No such luck now :-(

And yes... you'll need to use their bars as the stock bars will not fit under the fairing. The Magni bars are lower bay maybe... 2" give or take.

EDIT: be *VERY* carful when drilling the holes for the windscreen! The wrong bit or bad technique can easily crack the plexiglass! At first, I thought it would be best to use low RPM on the drill, but I quickly found that this caused the bit to bind after making the hole, and I almost broke it. In the end, the best technique I found was to use a fast RPM drill speed, with very light pressure pushing through the hole.

• 2 weeks later...

Also, FYI Gustaffson Plastics in Florida makes replacement windscreens for Magni fairings in clear and smoke.

The trick to drilling the windsreens is to drilll from the side that would be the inside of the screen out. If you do it this way it is very easy to do.

Bill

Kansas

01 Rosso Mandello w/ black Magni

Gustaffsen provides a specially ground bit for this purpose plus a piece of plastic with which to practice. The cutting lips on the drill are ground for a negative rake. This causes the drill to burn through instead of grabbing as it breaks through.

Drilling holes in regular poly plexiglass should be one with one thing in mind. It may crack when, and only when, you have drilled through the majority of the sheet, and just as you are about to break through the opposite surface, the drill will try to 'grab' as it opens up the hole. If you let it grab hard enough, and if it is 3mm thick or thinner sheet, it probably will make hairline cracks, which will spread later from wind buffeting and vibration. To prevent this, spin the drill bit fast, and as it breaks through, pull back the pressure you have on it dramatically, and slowly let it clean the hole out till the bit can fit through. Hold the shield down as the drill will grab it quickly and lift it up. Try to do this on a carpeted table, or a bench with cloth layed down.

Drilling from the inside out, or right side in makes no difference. Use this method.

If it is lexan, you could fire a gun through it, and it won't crack. In fact I've seen this, and it melts it's way through lexan, instead of smashing it's way.

Ciao, Steve G.

I've had good luck using a dremel tool and an appropriate sized grinding wheel or burr. It just melts through the plastic- no grabbing. As with a drill, you need to go slow, but I've never had them crack.

Cheers,

J

• 3 weeks later...

FYI..

Just sent an email today to the only US distributor that I saw on the Magni website and got the following response a few hours later:

"We can supply - silver, green black Guzzi paint - $1075.00, delv 6-8 weeks."

Christopher J. Garville

Commerce Overseas Corporation

14312 Chambers, Tustin CA 92780

tel: 714.505.6410 fax: 714.505.6419

www.commerceoverseas.com

Northrop Grumman Authorized Licensee

ISO9001:2000 - DNV Registered Firm

So there is a US price for you without having to do any currency exchange calculation. I agree, pretty pricey but very sexy.