Brecon Beacons TT

belfastguzzi

What do you Welshy guys and gals know about this? Do you know what the route of this mainland TT was?

I hope to tootle around Snowdonia/Brecon Beacons in June. As there is an old TT circuit there somewhere, this seems as good a routepoint as any to include in the itinerary.

I'll have to see where Eppynt Mountain is on the map, but any ideas about a definite road(s) location would be great.

Some time you'll have to come over here to the old Ulster TT & UGP / Grand Prix of Europe circuits. :bike:

Here's a link to Ulster TT story - see Tracing the TT. It's from a four wheel perspective though.

Rudge%20Ulster%201933_jpg.jpg Rudge Ulster

Just found this. Local Irish boy (champion, Stanley Woods) astride guess what V8, 1956 p_woods_001.jpg

mainland TT ...Snowdonia/Brecon Beacons...there is an old TT circuit there somewhere

I have no idea what you're talking about...

Give us a clue?

KB,Cymru :sun:

I don't expect you were there :pic: - it happened 1948 to 1953

"Open exhausts with megaphones echoed thundering roars around hills of a hitherto solemnly silent region. Strong Army presence was evident in the forms of Lt. Commander Kidston along with Officer Commanding the Royal Artillery practice camp at Sennybridge Major Stackpoole. Builth Wells Motor Club along with Carmarthen Motor Club shared prominence. Stewards, Marshals, First Aiders came into view, along with laden charabancs plus all forms of transport carrying eager supporters to settle down as witnesses to a massive inaugural event.

Eppynt circuit, 5.2 miles per lap, wound across open moorland, undulating, with humps, over which speeds of 90 to 95 mph had been estimated during a Saturday Senior practice session, such speed there was amazing to even contemplate at that time. Rife rumour plus tittle-tattle brought a mass of motorcyclists to observe such feats. "Acknowledged experts" was an attracting term, coupled with "works riders", "factory machines", creeping into popular dialogue eager to dispense with Ration books, Petrol coupons, Powdered egg and Utility furniture expressions.

Magazines plus media coverage brought names like L.R. Archer, Les Graham, Italian Moto Guzzi machine rider Maurice Cann to be household names. A possibility of seeing those which one could otherwise only read about proved irresistable, add Clubman’s Senior TT winner Jack D. Daniels with runner up Phil Heath to such a field to set a very fine stage. Syd Barnett failed to turn up this time only. So did Roy Evans, L.G. Martin arrived late from Spain too late to practice, still having too much clutch trouble to take a worthwhile part in tussles. Kenny Dixon rode a rather old Norton 350, recurring clutch trouble caused him to retire masking a young Dixon’s potential. Phil Heath confided that he too arrived late and could not contribute his usual ferocity due to machine problems throughout his ride. Bob Foster had competed in Moto-Cross des Nations in Belgium on a weekend prior to Eppynt TT, he said he had taken a fall and was forced to withdraw to rest a painful back injury. However it was rumoured he was to ride the Grand Prix of Europe in Ulster the following weekend and felt it unwise to compete at demanding Eppynt Circuit so close to the Grand Prix."

Look at - silverdragons.co.uk

but I don't see a map or actual circuit route there.