Rear Sachs shock problem

badmotogoozer

Hi all,

I'm trying to get my rear shock (Sachs-Borg) replaced under warranty (still have a year left). In Dec I was trying to set up my suspension only to discover that the compression damping (if I remember right - the adjuster on the shock itself) would "click" properly clockwise but just unscrew itself in the other direction.

I didn't find anything previous pertaining to this so I'm curious about this shock. If I do get a replacement can I expect the same problems? Anyone else experience this? Experiences with the White Power one?

thanks,

Ryan

If you get the Sachs replaced under warrantee, it should be fine. I think you just got a "bad" one :unsure:

Some of us have complained of course about the performance of the Sachs/Boge unit, but to tell the truth, on average and especially for lighter riders, it's not that bad for a standard OEM unit. In fact, some people like Lex have actually had them rebuilt to their satisfaction.

Now, that being said, a WP or Ohlins shock is a vast improvment, but they are spendy. You could though keep an eye out for a used WP off of a 1100Sport. They do pop up on eBay occassionally for a good price.

Good luck!

al

Thanks Al,

I'm a heavy rider and was trying to adjust the Sachs because of the regular speed wobble when I pull out to pass and punch it.

I would love to upgrade to WP or even better Ohlins but the cost is just way too drastic right now.

I'll keep an eye on ebay... I never search for 1100 stuff but I will now!

Rj

The adjuster on the shock itself is for rebound damping and , yes , it should click adjust in both directions.

The 'speed wobble' could be tire related ( pressure/ type), steering damper setting ( least is best), or *most often* not enough weight on the front. Increasing the rear preload may be your most effective adjustment. :luigi::luigi:

Something as simple as seat postion can make a huge difference. Try sliding up and leaning forward to weight the front for acceleration and cornering. :bike:

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Badmotogoozer,

I've had my V11 for a couple of weeks and have been playing with the suspension.

The rear is a Sachs like yours and the rebound adjuster will also unscrew anticlockwise if wound back far enough, fortunately it still adjusts as it should (I think).

I can wind the compression up hard (about 34 clicks), but when taking it to the softest setting the positive click first becomes soft and then the adjuster unwinds.

So far I've been able to keep it working.

The last bike I had was a KTM Supermoto with Whitepower suspension at both ends, on that you could feel the difference each click made unlike the stuff on the Guzzi which seems to need a fair few clicks to make any difference.

I'm still trying to work out wether the rear spring is to hard or I've yet to get a good balance between compression and rebound.

Not much help to yourselve but now I know to keep an eye on the adjuster.

Fieldsheer

My adjuster was frozen when I tried to adjust it. A bit of lube and a bit of easy back and forth wiggling and it started clicking. There was no info in my manual on how many clicks there were from low to high so I turned it all the way down, then all the way back up. At that point it would back down a couple of clicks then just unscrew from there.

My warranty replacement arrived this week so in a week or two I'll get it installed. Then I can resume trying to set up my suspension in hopes of eliminating the speed wobbles.

I read through Todd's (guzzi power) instructions for setting up the v11 suspension but they seem to be for the White Power shock. I'm sure I'll sort it out...

cheers,

Ryan

I did the same as yourself when I got my bike and found that the comression had 30 clicks and the rebound 34 clicks.

The only reference in the manual I've found states :

extension (rebound?) 20 snaps out from fully closed

compression 10 snaps out from fully closed

spring length in its seat 152mm

No settings at all for the front suspension.

When I got the bike it had

Compression 20 click from fully clockwise

Rebound 19 clicks from fully clockwise

I've yet to measure the spring length.

I'm currently running

Compression 6 click from fully clockwise (10 clicks as the bike kicking of bumps).

Rebound 24 clicks from fully clockwise

it's better but still not perfect, increasing the compression seems to lift the rear and adds stability at the expense of comfort. As a guide I weigh 150 pounds plus riding gear.

To feel any difference in ride quality I was increasing compression 2 clicks at a time and rebound by 4 clicks.

I hope the above is helpful and not leading up a blind ally.

Derek

Thanks Derek! Exactly what I wanted to hear... ballpark from other riders.

I'm significantly larger (6'2, 210) but the info on the shock is just what I need.

The new shock is here and I'd like to rough set it before it goes on the bike.

cheers!

Rj

• 11 months later...
Guest jeffmarven
If you get the Sachs replaced under warrantee, it should be fine.  I think you just got a "bad" one  :unsure:

Some of us have complained of course about the performance of the Sachs/Boge unit, but to tell the truth, on average and especially for lighter riders, it's not that bad for a standard OEM unit.  In fact, some people like Lex have actually had them rebuilt to their satisfaction.

Now, that being said, a WP or Ohlins shock is a vast improvment, but they are spendy.  You could though keep an eye out for a used WP off of a 1100Sport.  They do pop up on eBay occassionally for a good price.

Good luck!

al

19132[/snapback]

Al: I'm entirely new to this forum so I hope I'm going the right way about replying here....can I ask you a question? - do you know for certain that the 1100 sport WP shock is a close match for the Sachs unit? I was out on my '02 Le Mans on Sunday when the back shock gave up during a "spirited" run with my usual buddy, covering the back of the bike with oil and leaving me with no damping at all at a speed I wouldn't care to mention here! In the UK Sachs do not import bike shocks anyway, and I would rather go down the WP or Ohlins route than fit another Sachs. I can get an 1100 Sport unit easily, but wouldn't like to buy it and discover that the spring rate or whatever is significantly different. Hope you can help. Jeff

In Dec I was trying to set up my suspension only to discover that the compression damping (if I remember right - the adjuster on the shock itself) would "click" properly clockwise but just unscrew itself in the other direction. 

19126[/snapback]

Could be it just needs to be torqued down or loctited.

I have not had one apart, but I imagine your condition is normal and it had just come loose, kind of like our tripmeter reset, although that is reversed threaded, so it confuse me :blink:

Al: I'm entirely new to this forum so I hope I'm going the right way about replying here....can I ask you a question? - do you know for certain that the 1100 sport WP shock is a close match for the Sachs unit? I was out on my '02 Le Mans on Sunday when the back shock gave up during a "spirited" run with my usual buddy, covering the back of the bike with oil and leaving me with no damping at all at a speed I wouldn't care to mention here! In the UK Sachs do not import bike shocks anyway, and I would rather go down the WP or Ohlins route than fit another Sachs. I can get an 1100 Sport unit easily, but wouldn't like to buy it and discover that the spring rate or whatever is significantly different. Hope you can help. Jeff

45559[/snapback]

Well, I think it should fit, but don't know for certain. I sold my old Sachs/Boge to a fella in the UK that blew out his WP on his Sport1100 about a year ago, and didn't hear any complaints :huh2:

I saw one on eBay the other day coincidentally :D

This would be a good question for someone like Mike Stewart, or even better, Carl Allison, as Mike has done a lot of rear shock swapping.... and Carl has both a V11 and Sport1100.

al

I just bought the White Power shock on eBay for $74.01...yabba dabba doo :D

45663[/snapback]

You're going to find the remote reservoir will not fit where the Sachs did - too long. Here's where I located mine:

MAN guzzi ppl are picky I either have a well setup guzzi from the previous owner or I don't know what I'm looking for, Because with the 4 other bikes I've ridden somewhat recently, a 98 Suz Bandit, 03' gixxer 600, 03 Triumph RS, My ole 01 Marauder The Goose is such a nicer ride not as tight as the gix not as unforgiving as the marauder(it was bad) and not as loose as some others I've sat on ya know the cush bikes I can't see any reason to change out the rear shock. The fronts maybe but the Marz are still better than most (even tho mine leaked and cost me $300 to fix). I guess its got to be chalked up to "there is always something better" But I like what I got. Even the Bitubo Damper appears to work better than the gixxer

Guest Brian Robson
You're going to find the remote reservoir will not fit where the Sachs did - too long. Here's where I located mine:

45679[/snapback]

Thanks for the guidance Cal. That looks like the perfect spot and will keep most of the crud off the reservoir.