Small Electrical Problem

Guest rotorhead

Guest rotorhead

I got my V11 back from the dealer last Thursday after completion of the XMSN recall....it shifts like a new transmission...I am impressed :D

Now it seems I have an electrical problem that I can't seem to indentify. The oil press. light, the gen. light, the horns, the high beam, the flashing (passing) beam do not seem to work. I think the whole system is running off of battery power based on the schematic. Looks like the power line coming from the regulator supplies these items. Is there a fuse or relay I'm not seeing in the system somewhere? I'm going to go and fuss with it some more in a minute and see if I have any luck. :(

Any help would be appreciated.

Keith

Could be a loose connection at a terminal, or one they forgot to replace (plug one in) when they were done working on your machine....maybe? Check the battery connections as they undoubtably disconnected it to do any work on the bike. Then after that, take it back to them and let them fix it, especially if it was running perfect when you brought it to them. It's what I would do. :bier:

That circuit is mostly live. Battery feeds fuse F5, thence to the starter relay and (when not starting) straight through to the headlight relay. So, try swapping a few relays around to see if that fixes it. I can't remember which relay is specific to it's own location though, so let the other guys on the forum correct that oversight. You many have a terminal pushed through on the relay block on either the starter or headlight relay, a dirty terminal or a screwed up relay. I doubt that it will be anything more serious than that though. If that doesn't fix it, it's time to start checking the sidestand relay, the run switch and the ignition switch.

Guest rotorhead

Thanks greatly for the assist....turns out it was the forward most of the relays (Bosch) that was bad. It controlled the brake light, high beam, horns, passing (flashing) healight switch, Oil pressure light, Gen light and probably more.

I seem to recall a post somewhere indentifying this relay as the one that remains on all the time and gets hot carrying the high amperage of so many components and when the horn is used the the amp spike causes grief for this particular relay and a shorten life. Was there not a fix for this somewhere?? A wire reroute or the like?? Anyone remember the link?

As it stands, I always make sure I carry a spare bosch with me.

As a side note, I posted a topic relating to intermittent stalling at high speed that seemed to happen about 50 miles into the ride or so. Replaced the electric fuel cock with a manual and thus far no incidents to report. Seems I just about got the kinks worked out :D

Keith

Thats it then :blink: ? I guess I should have gotten more than a couple of those relays from Pyro Dan. Thats an easy enough fix and I should have remembered docc's post...it's the reason I labeled my relays and ordered the spares. Thanks again, docc. I think I'll get a bag of those things and keep them in the tail section. :thumbsup:

What's the part number from your manual petcock? I tried one TX sent me and couldn't get it to fit . i'll try again when the tank's off next but wonder if there's more than one manual petcock available?

Hmmm, that's the part number on this one as well. When I went to fit it I found the pick up screen was much larger than the electrical unit. Wouldn't go in the hole. (Nothing could be worse when it comes to 'cocks') :o

I believe it was Al who suggested that loosening the mounting hardware would allow it to shift a bit and align well enough for the larger pick-up to slide in.

Docc,

I purchased a manual petcock from Moto International - part # 011054600 - not fitted yet.

From the photo in the guzzitech post the ratio of body to intake assy is 45/63mm but this ratio is 45/87mm on the one I received - which sounds like the one you have...?

Gio

PS - The one I received did not come in a MG bag

This is 45/87. I can't recall if the one in the tank is really shorter, only that it's diameter was much smaller.

Guest rotorhead

In all fairness I did not install the manual petcock....when I turned in the bike for warranty action due to the stalling I indicated to them that I had the manual petcock and was going to install it myself in the near future. The dealer called two days later and asked me if I could bring it in and they would install it for me and I did, so I can not speak from experience about any fitment problems.

It did however, come in a MG package.

To this date, no stalling problems :D I think its a good fix at least for now.