MPG?

Guest squiddysquid

Guest squiddysquid

I'm getting less than 30 miles/gallon (closer to 25 mpg) on my 2000 v11 sport (ca. 3400 miles). This seems like it's on the low side, and the 100 mile range is pretty limiting. I seem to recall seeing a review somewhere that quoted over 30 mpg.

Is this a symptom of some other problem or is this mileage normal?

What is everone else getting?

Thanks,

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It usually means its not setup properly or there's an issue with sensors or the ECU.

I get better than 20km/l on both my 1100 Sport and Cali at legal speeds

High 20's around town seems pretty consistent for many of us, although some have reported higher. I regularly have gotten 27-29ish around town, which I agree seems a bit low compared to other bikes I've owned, but it is what it is :P

But on the other hand, when taking long trips where a constant RPM is mostly maintained, I've seen upward of 43mpg. So it is possible.

Your bike is also fairly low mileage, and economy should improve as you approach 10k miles.

As Cliff suggested, a "tune up" certainly won't hurt, but more than that, time should improve mileage.

As long as I'm just tooling around town, I don't mind 140ish mile range before refilling. Of course, for longer jaunts, I want at least 150 before getting nervous, hence my project in the wasted fuel thread.

I would say though, that if you are getting as low as 25mpg consistently, there is definitely something amiss.

al

My 01 sport was horrible when I got it new. Less than 100 miles to a tank - my car was getting better mpg. It has gotten better as the engine loosens up (now around 5000mi). I had the local guzzi shop play with it trying to get better mileage but all they were able to do was lean it right out. It still was only around 150 miles to a tank before I was into warning territory. And that was conservative use of the throttle (in my opinion :D )

I just finished putting in a Power Commander which I hope has enabled better tuning and mileage but have no results untill better weather arrives. I also added a few performance upgrades, so I might have cancelled out any mileage gains...

For comparison, I went on a 4K mile trip this summer with a fellow on an 01 Lemans (maybe 02 - forget) and he was getting significantly better mileage.

Some seem to get very good mileage, others are attrocious. I have talked to a few people and there doesn't seem to be any consistency...

cheers,

Rj

When I first got my '02 LM I was getting in the low 30s, but now I average a pretty consistent 38-40 mpg doing mostly mountain riding on the weekends, and occasional in-town commuting weekdays. I hope yours improves too.

I've never been entirely impressed by the mileage on this V11. Since breakin, I average 45mpg [that's imperial gallon, 4.54 litres]. I would have thought with F.I. the system would be more efficient that carbs. Not the case at all. I'm getting better economy with my Jota, with it's gas spitting 38mm Dellorto pumpers, untouched since 1982.

Just the same, it's still cheap fun. I would'nt want this thing leaned out any more, the pre-ignition would be unbearable.

Ciao, Steve G.

Guest squiddysquid

Thanks for the feedback. I commute in the city, so that brings it down a bit. I have been looking at doing some rides in more remote areas (eastern Oregon...without better mileage I'm going to have to plan carefully.

Guest carlomoto

I have a 2003 V11 Sport. The Le Mans faring probably has an impact on performance.

When I first got my bike the fuel economy was terrible. It improved considerably after I'd driven about 1,000 or 1,500 miles.

I usually fill the tank when the reserve light comes on. Fill-up amount is about the same, as is mileage:

3.9 US gallons (about 14L) gets me around 140 miles (about 225km).

Guest Brian Robson

353 Km on a tankful!! Is the legal speed 50km/hr in Sheepsville?

Am I so way out in that I get 250 km per tankful each and every fill, and I think this equates to ~35-38 mpg.

I seem to remember a thread on this in the past.

353 Km on a tankful!! Is the legal speed 50km/hr in Sheepsville?

Brian, R U a policeman? :P:P

Legal speed limit in Kiwiland is 100k open road, (unless you're chasing a darling lil' sheep).

I tried to stay on 120k all day, and honestly, officer, I didn't go over 140k many times (well, perhaps even saw 150k). Not me, it's the bike! :bike:

I noticed an increase in tank range following crossover/cans/PCIII/tuning link addition. Basically from mid 120s up to 145 miles before the low fuel light. The interesting thing is that the gas analyser showed that the bike was running rich around the midrange (4-5k rpm). I must admit that I spend a lot of time in that area during normal riding and was pleased with the elimination of the torque dip following the modifications - the fuel economy increase was a bonus!

So, I guess much of the variation between V11s may be due to different riding styles. Perversely, based on my dyno experience, on an unmodified bike it could be the case that a rider favouring a 5-6k rpm range would get better fuel economy than one preferring a lower rpm. The solution to all this is to get the bike set up properly to extract the best performance and economy we can and I highly recommend the crossover and PCIII-with-tuning link route. Replacement cans are not going to give much benefit in economy or power - but they do make the bike sound better and aid in letting pedestrians & car/truck drivers know you are near.

Sorry, it's been a while since I posted and I can go on a bit..... :D