MPG?

Guest squiddysquid

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's funny, I don't seem to recall anyone mentioning 50 mpg @ 90 mph.

Then again, with the profile of cam the V11 based engine is equipped with, it's efficiency [and in turn power output] does not really start to come into play until around the 4600 rpm mark. With this in mind, puttering around in city traffic would of course return some pretty discouraging numbers.

I've probably mentioned this before, but my 'low fuel' light never has worked, since new, there were so many other problems with my bike, this one was never given any consideration. Now with the bike 18 months into warranty, I most likely would get groans of laughter from Moto Guzzi North America. Alot of my riding has been with others bikes with confirmed high mileage range, so I knew I could get a litre off them to get to the gas station, As a result, I have stretched my tank distances to 250 kms many times, and recall once on the GPS a run of 179.2 miles in between fuel fill ups. For the guys outside the U.S., that's pretty close to 288 kms. I don't know about you guys, but after 150-170 miles, I'm ready to stretch my legs. It should be mentioned that this kind of mileage has started to happen only after this little engine has seemed to loosen up, with now 26,000kms.

Ciao, Steve G.

50 mpg @ 90 mph.

Well maybe I slightly embellished but I still appreciate the overall results reported by IanJ. My Rosso seems to get poorer fuel economy overall even though the 11:1 pistons made some improvement. I believe it is because of my riding style. Wheelies and burnouts do not get you 50 mpg!!!

So you wish to have an Electonica, eh? I have a 1974 but with points. I commend your wish even if it will be hard to fill.

Hi Jim,

Given the opportunity [and most importantly the chequeing account balance] I would be proud to have any SFC 750 in my garage. Magnificent hand made machines.

Wolfgang always seems to have at least one in his stable for immediate delivery. Oh well, one out of two is ok for now.

Ciao, Steve G.

Guest freud

Out in the mountains today I got a new record of nearly 46 MPG. But my setup and the altitude I'm in are rediculous. Above 9000 feet, and with every single possible emmisions dealy removed, which one would think MIGHT improve the mileage, but Nay!

I don't think emission systems on Italian M/Cs are a good idea... they don't seems to know how to make them??? :vomit:

God, I really do love that puke emotocon...

freud

• 2 weeks later...

Well, to sum-up one aspect of this thread based on several responses, and now that I've had the 2003 tank for a while....

I think it is safe to say that on average, the 2003+ tanks with the internal fuel-pump module and integrated fuel-level sender, will glow the idiot light at about 3.5 gallons(US).

At that point, on probably has another gallon or more of accessible fuel, so depending on the mileage per "unit" you've been observing, you can extrapolate your "reserve" to get to the next station.

And based on the following thread on Sport-touring.net:

http://www.sport-touring.net/cgi-bin/msgbo...;f=1;t=163;st=0

...I'm actually now not too terribly disappointed with the mileage we are seeing on the V11. After all, it wasn't designed from the outset as a mile-munching long-range GT bike, and many sport touring riders actually ride bikes a lot like ours, that also were not... and seem to have similar ranges.

So I don't feel too bad anymore :P

I would guess that "on average", we can see ~180 miles as the maximum range on the V11 without too much panic, and if the planets are in alignment, a bit over 200 if MPG inches up much above 40. But I wouldn't count on it :unsure:

And as I mention in the ST thread above, in the end.... 150-200 miles at average speeds of, say... 70mph... *average*.... is between 2-3 hours seat time.

I don't know about you, but personally, I like to stop and smell the roses and stretch every couple/three hours anyway ;)

As long as my bike continues to deliver a reliable 170-ish total miles, I'll be happy.

I can't deny that I'd prefer a consistent available 200 mile range just for emergencies though :huh2: However, my past experience with highway/long-distance rides did give over 40mpg, so I guess it's possible if one assumes ~5G of useable capacity... and LD rides are where I've typically had "range anxiety" anyway.

al

About 2 weeks ago, I ran out of gas. Luckily I was able to coast to a station. The fuel light has never worked and somebody wasn't paying attention. :rolleyes: I had 199.9 miles on the clock and the tank took 5.49 gallons. 36.5 mpg. That's been pretty much the average since I've owned it. Later, Dan

I agree with the general consensus. When the engine is new and tight poor mileage. When it does a few miles the mileage generally improves <_>

When I first got the 2003 Lemans it was getting about 39mph on the highway. Big difference from my previous MkIV LeMans. With 13000klms on the clock I just had a quick run on the highway and back (no luggage) of about 800klms for a cup of coffee and a sandwich and averaged abou 52mph at average sped of about 120klms.

Yeah, I'm happy with that. Just wait for constable blogg's photos now if I am unlucky...Prick :moon:

Allan

• 4 weeks later...

The first tank of gas that i used after putting in the high compression pistons was laughable under 110 miles on a tank of gas ! After that, things have settled down to "normal" -around 145 miles or so before the fuel light comes on.