Stands - again

mikie

I just received my workshop stand from MG Cycle, and of course I had to go to the garage to try it out. I did manage to get the LeMans up on it, but only after a bit of mildly nerve-wracking effort (I REALLY didn't want the bike to fall down). What I did was lean against the center of the bike to get it almost upright and then tried for awhile to line up the bolts with the stand, successfully at last. It did take some time to finally get it right, and I wonder whether this gets easier with practice, and also what techniques others use to get the bike on the stand safely with minimal effort. Any advice would be appreciated.

Guest Brian Robson

Exactly the way you did it. It gets better with practice. I was really nervous that I would require a second person all the time, but after a few times came to feel the knack and find it so easy now.

Yep, this seems to be a pretty common thread.... one is usually pretty nervous using the stand at first, and in my case I always called for an "assistant" :P

But after a handful of times, I can now take the bike on and off the stand quite quickly.

The only way my technique differs from many is that I put the handle on the right-hand side, and push the handle toward the front of the bike, whilst holding the front brake with my left hand. I found that for whatever reason, the handle on my stand would not clear the exhaust cans to use it with the handle facing backwards. I assume YMMY ^_^

al

Although my stand clears the round Guzzi (Mistral) canister on the left, I find myself pushing the lever down with my foot. It goes down with quite a *thwack* but doesn't strain my back and leaves me upright to mind the bike.

I find myself pushing the lever down with my foot. It goes down with quite a *thwack* but doesn't strain my back and leaves me upright to mind the bike.

Thanks for the tip - pushing the handle down yesterday was a little rough on my back. I'll try the foot deal next time.

good plan. It beats housecalling you in Pasadena , although I would cherish the ride.

" Be back in May, honey, I'm off to help a guy who wrenched his back wrestling his Guzzi."

good plan. It beats housecalling you in Pasadena , although I would cherish the ride.

" Be back in May, honey, I'm off to help a guy who wrenched his back wrestling his Guzzi."

Docc,

Pasadena is quite nice this time of year. :thumbsup: Infact, the weather in Northern California has been fantastic this week with temps. reaching 85 degrees. Big change since we have be being hammered with storms the last few weeks.

It is nice being able to ride to work once again and just in time for the skyrocket pricing of fuel.

Mike