torque values

mikie

My bike's sitting in the garage with the wheels mounted back on loosely (with brand new Dunlop 220's on them) and I've been searching this forum for US (read foot pound) torque values so all will be safe for my ride tomorrow morning. Unfortunately, I couldn't find a thread that I thought I once saw on this. If someone out there wouldn't mind simplifying my life a little, and give me the torques on both axles, the pinch bolts, and the caliper bolts, I'd be happy to treat you to a couple of beers next time you're in Pasadena, CA.

Oh and one more question - I find myself with three spacers. Does one go on the front and two on the rear, or is it opposite? (Obviously, "competent mechanic" would not be a very fitting description of me.)

I use these torque values on my 1999 V11 :luigi:

Rear wheel spindle nut 117NM (87 ft/lb)

Front wheel spindle nut 93NM (68 ft/lb)

Fork leg/spindle pinch bolts 10NM (7 ft/lb)

M10 Front caliper mounting bolts 34NM (26 ft/lb)

M8 Rear caliper mounting bolts 24NM (18 ft/lb)

Spacers - I assume you mean the 2 flanged for the front wheel and 1 plain for the

rear wheel?

Thanks for those numbers (I owe you beer) but my front wheel is the type 2, where there is no spindle nut and the threads are in the fork leg.

Spacers - yes, that's what I meant. Thanks again.

What bike? I have 02 Scura w/Ohlins. Front maybe different - has no loose spacers. Rear has inner race for roller bearing in outside of drive box, & short spacer that fits between right side bearing in hub & inside of drive box. Sounds like you might've missed that. Push spindle thru drive box & locate spacer on it before sliding in wheel.

KB,Cymru :sun:

Thanks KB. 02 LeMans, no Ohlins. The problem I encountered last night was when putting a spacer on each side of the front wheel, the spindle didn't seem to want to go all the way in. I'll have another go at it after work today.

Based on my recollection before I replaced the forks on my '02, there is a single spacer for the threaded side/end of the threaded axle. The spacer is "spool" shaped, with slightly flanged ends, versus perfectly barrel smooth.

...anyway, that's how I think I remember it :P

al

Thanks Al, that's the way it seems to me that it should be; however, I happen to have an extra one of these slightly spool-shaped spacers, and that makes me very nervous. It may be somewhat uncomfortable for the front wheel to lock up on me at some inopportune moment should I reassemble this incorrectly :cheese:

Guest Brian Robson

I'm with Al, there is only one spacer on the front wheel(02 LeMans), on the threaded side. Logical, allowing the axle to reach the end of its thread when the fork leg is tight against the spacer

Well then, I'm stumped. I put one spacer on either side of the wheel, it seems to be centered, the axle thread reaches the end of the strut, and I rode the bike to work today and am still in one piece. If anyone else with an '02 LeMans has a chance to glance at their front wheel to see what the spacer situation is, I'd appreciate hearing about it.

Mikie,

Is your axle "stepped" instead of perfectly uniform/smooth/same-diameter the whole length? I'm pretty sure my axle was larger on one end(the head-end), and being a larger diameter had a step down on the right side(head-side) that acted as the right spacer. The left(thread side) had the spool shaped spacer.

I could be mistaken though, as I don't remember 100%

Maybe Guzzi used a couple different ones through 2000-02 :huh2: I wouldn't be the first time :P

The only spacer(other than the brake caliper) that I *remember* off-hand for he rear wheel was up inside the bevel box, between it and the wheel.

al