Front tire cupping

Guest Warren Rhen

Guest Warren Rhen

I had an ST2 once that cupped the front tires regularly. They were both Dunlop and Avon Azzurro(?). I called Avon and complained and they accused me of racing or running track days with it which was not true. Anyway my recently purchased LeMans has only 1800 miles now on the Bridgestone BT020 and the front tire is starting to cup already. Is this a suspension problem, balance or pressure problem, riding style or just a manfacturer problem. If its manufacturer problem thats OK because I don't plan on buying any more Bridgestones anyway. They don't seem to have much grip. I've had the backend slide out on me several times. At least thats better than the front letting go. BTW I appreciate the feedback from all you guys on the list. Thanx

I'm actually surprised by the cupping happening at 1800 miles. I've got 6500 miles on 020's on my V11 and the front shows little wear, the back maybe a bit on the right side [from entering and exiting the freeway/motorway]. I'm way happier with these things than the original Bridgstone BT57's.

This cupping most often can be traced to either the road camber on the roads you ride, or the tire pressure. I don't think it is the tire, or the bike.

Ciao, Steve G.

I had an ST2 once that cupped the front tires regularly. They were both Dunlop and Avon Azzurro(?). I called Avon and complained and they accused me of racing or running track days with it which was not true. Anyway my recently purchased LeMans has only 1800 miles now on the Bridgestone BT020 and the front tire is starting to cup already. Is this a suspension problem, balance or pressure problem, riding style or just a manfacturer problem. If its manufacturer problem thats OK because I don't plan on buying any more Bridgestones anyway. They don't seem to have much grip. I've had the backend slide out on me several times. At least thats better than the front letting go. BTW I appreciate the feedback from all you guys on the list. Thanx

I think it depends on the tire. The Bridgestone 010 always cupped on me. The Metzeler Sportec's raise the tread slightly but not as bad as the Bridgestone tires. This has been a common complaint of the early V11 series and the way you ride. :o .While all my Bridgestones have cupping, the Metzelers only show slight cupping. I believe this is due the tire design (chevron).

Mike

I think it depends on the tire. The Bridgestone 010 always cupped on me. The Metzeler Sportec's raise the tread slightly but not as bad as the Bridgestone tires. This has been a common complaint of the early V11 series and the way you ride. :o .While all my Bridgestones have cupping, the Metzelers only show slight cupping. I believe this is due the tire design (chevron).

Mike

Does anybody have some esperiences with the Avon Azaro 45/46?

http://www.avonmotorcycle.com/frames.htm

ciao

cupping seems to occur on several makes of tyres on Guzzis, even my old tonti Guzzis have all experienced it (Avon roadrunners were the worst - I hate them) but on the V11 with the original BT020 it certainly became a problem at about 4,000 miles plus (mainly at low speeds and in the wet). I've just changed to Pirelli Diablos but I'll have to see if this happens to them as well.

As to the cause of cupping, I've heard its probably down to suspension settings but in reality I've no idea :huh2:

Mal :helmet:

Guest Warren Rhen

Mike

Does anybody have some esperiences with the Avon Azaro 45/46?

http://www.avonmotorcycle.com/frames.htm

ciao

Like I said, I had a couple of sets of the old Azuro(?) on my ST2 and I liked the handling and confidence they gave me better than any tire I've ever used :bike: . The rear tire even seemed to last a little longer than most( ~6-6500 miles) but the front was shot in that amount of time also because of the cupping. But I liked them so much that I'm going to try the new Azuro 45/46 when these bridgestones are gone

I had no cupping on the bt010 until going to a track day, see the result. But apart from that I'm very happy with the bt010, then always give a feel of grip.

Worst cupping I had was with michelins tx11 or something. Most cupping comes from braking hard.

bt010.jpg

WARREN I GOT 4700 MILES OUT OF STOCK TIRES ALL MY TIRES SEEM TO CUP MIGHT BE THE HEAVY USE OF THE FRONT BRAKE??? I PUT A SET OF AVON PRO SIERES TYRES ON MY SCURA LOVE THEM!!!

During the summer of '02 while riding back from a rally on the Interstate in 100 degree weather my Bridgestone cupped badly. I guess it was from the hot road combined with underinflation. Though not nearly as severe as Pauls' I quickly replaced it with a Michelin.

The mechanics at Moto International tell me that the front tire cups on these bikes because they're fairly front-heavy. Of course, looking at all the responses, the decision I've come to in my mind is, "I got no clue!"

I know that my front 020 cupped after about 8000 km. I wasn't riding particularly aggressively, although I did mainly use the front brake to slow down. I kept the tire pressure between 36 and 40 psi (~ 2.5 and 2.75 bar) for the most part.

Guest Brian Robson

Oh Paul I salute you. What a magnificent picture of a truly well shagged tyre. What a great way to wear out some rubber (the second best way!)

:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

He's my take on cupping front tyres. Its a result of a soft tread compound and a directional tread pattern with relativly narrow gaps between the grooves. Most tyres in V11 sizes are designed for the current generation of sports bikes r1's 954's ZX10 RCV whatever honda are calling thier new one and things like the ZX6R R6 F4I CBR600RR GSXR600 etc etc. Put these tyres on a belhounth like a 240 kilo guzzi with a rearward wieght bias they are simply not designed to cope with. With the demand from the public for more and more perfomance the tyres have become more narrow focused. Its intresting however bridgestone are bringing out a new series of tyres very shortly 014's which are supposed to be harder yet grip very well. Currently ont he front of the 1100 sport I have a pirelli EVO corsa which is sadly out of production but this tyre is showing no ill effects and the evo i had previously held up very well.

I have also ran a bridgestone 011 which was standard fit to the GSXR series and is usally avlible on request. Supposedly similar compund to the 010 however different tread pattern and while it was slightly out of shape at the end of its life it was no where near as bad as the 010. It did however tend to drift when pushing hard out of a corner very contrlalbly good party trick to freak out your friends but not that conforting. Pirelli still make the EVO super corsa which has a similar tread pattern to the EVo corsa however it is seriously soft and its life might be somewhat limited dunno never used them. Havn't used Avons for a while the one I had on the front was for a couple ot track days at the very fast philip island. Whilst it didn't cup i managed to put some serious wear on the sides of the tyre and once it lost its profile it wasn't pretty. Avons have brought out a couple of different models since so they may have improved but with the streght of the Australian dollar over recent years I could almost buy a front and rear bridgestone for the price of a rear avon. Gets kinda hard to justify for an experiment.