Crossover selection for V11 Sport

Guest JoshM

Guest JoshM

Hey everyone,

I'm sure that this topic has already been covered elsewhere, but about an hour of searching this site and the WildGuzzi forum has turned up little specific info, so...

Will someone please summarize the advantages/disadvantages of the following crossover pipes for the V11 Sport: Mistral, Stucchi, and Ferracci. I am concerned about the affect that each has on power delivery, as well as issues like build quality and fit. My 2001 model is totally stock right now.

I will be doing a major service on the bike in a couple of weeks and so I thought, hey, I'm replacing the air filter anyway, so why not get that neat open airbox thing that FBF offers (my old Ducati had a similar setup and it sounded super sweet). Well, that got me going and now I'm thinking that a crossover and possibly a Power Commander are also in order (hey! the wife just got herself a new computer, so...). I am NOT currently looking for different exhaust cannisters, however, mostly for reasons of cost and because I promised myself that I wouldn't until the bike is paid off.

So, is this a bad idea? Am I going to spend a good bit of money on the air filter kit/crossover/PCIII and see no results because I kept the stock cans? Or will it be a noticeable improvement that can be further enhanced later by the addition of aftermarket cans?

I am pretty much committed to getting the air filter kit, so my question focuses mainly on the crossovers and, to a lesser degree, the PCIII (they seem to have a generally good reputation; if I get one, I'll take it to a tuning center to have it done right for my bike's setup). I'm kinda partial to the FBF crossover since I'm getting the air filter kit from them and might want to upgrade to their pipes later--the FBF site indicates that they are all designed to work together.

Thanks for any insight,

JoshM

Hi Josh,

You might want to check out the Exhaust FAQ as a good starting point. (Note to self: Which upon browsing, nees some updating :rolleyes: )

I don't think we have a lot of data on the FBF crossover, as there have been few reported on here. I believe it is of an "H" design, more like the Mistral, but I could be mistaken.

Although not 100% verified, it seems that the consensus is something like this:

The Stucchi crossover gives more midrange power.

The Mistral crossover may give even more midrange power but reduces high rpm power

I suspect either works well enough though :huh2:

For whatever it's worth, most people seem to have the Stucchi :huh2:

I will say that although one has to be careful to get a "straight" x-over from Stucchi(many come crooked), they are bullet-proof and built like a tank :thumbsup:

Just ask your dealer, like MG-Cycle, to check for the Stucchi's build before shipping.

Hope that helps a little. Check Guzzitech as well, as I believe there may be some graphs with one or both x-overs fitted.

I had also heard that FBF cross-over had been prone to cracking, because of the multiple welds, but I'm not certain this was for their cruiser versus V11 cross-over, nor that this issue is still prevalent. It may not be.... so you may want to ask around, and I don't want to malign the FBF products unfairly.

al

I can give you direct feedback on three of the things you mention.

My 2001 v11 has been transformed!

1. Stucchi cross - I bought a "rejected" one for cheap thinking I could bend it to fit. It did not fit my stock pipes (one pipe was about 10 degrees away from the bike) but when I put the mistral pipes on they were a perfect fit. No bending was necessary. What it did do was ELIMINATE that power dip at 4500rpm that was a real burr in my ass! Smooth right on through. Even with stock pipes (rode for a day with a spacer mounting the "off" pipe). Fit has been an issue with these.

2. FBF lidless - another great mod. turned the bike ito a heaving gasping beast! Great sound, you can really hear the air flowing into the engine.

3. PCIII - made it all work, now it idles without stalling when I get off the highway, no more backfires, no more running lean. Just smooth power through the band. I may dino tune it yet but the map I got from Todd was the ticket!

adding the mistrals to the package and the bike now does all the things I hoped it would when I bought it. :bike:

good luck!

Guest northend

I too have an 03 Le Mans, the mods are:

FBF crossover

FBF lidless kit

M4 carbon cans (very nice)

Power Commander USB

Remove pollution crap

Note: The FBF crossover is a tight fit all the way around but fits well if you take the time to loosen everything to get it adjusted properly.

The M4 cans also help in fitment because the lead pipe isn't welded to the can and also gives you some adjustment to play with.

Seat of the pants dyno say's that it pulls harder throughout the power band and as for the sound, ya gotta get the cans, between the lidless air box and the cans,it sounds like NASCAR or a roadrace V-8. KICK ASS!!!

I can't help you as far as the stock cans as I did all the mods at once.

Best of luck and welcome to the Italian side :thumbsup::grin: Jeff H.

Guest JoshM

Thanks for the responses, people! I decided to go with the Stucchi crossover, FBF airbox, and a PCIII (just received in from FBF the other day--it has a USB cable inside the box; does this mean I got the USB version? I know it sounds like a dumb question, but I didn't know there were 2 versions and I don't have it in front of me...)

I'll let you know how it turns out with the stock cans.

JoshM

Thanks for the responses, people! I decided to go with the Stucchi crossover, FBF airbox, and a PCIII (just received in from FBF the other day--it has a USB cable inside the box; does this mean I got the USB version? I know it sounds like a dumb question, but I didn't know there were 2 versions and I don't have it in front of me...)

I'll let you know how it turns out with the stock cans.

JoshM

Good luck Josh :D

..yep, sounds like you have the PCIIIusb model. I don't think they even make the "generic" PCIII anymore actually.

All the info you ever wanted at: http://www.powercommander.com/

Agreeing with Jason though, it should be interesting to see your results, as the most restrictive part of the stock Guzzi V11 exhaust are the cans themselves.

Somewhere on the forum is a set of photos where Mike Stewart cut one in half, and it's pretty obvious how restrictive they are. ...they definitely aren't "straight through". I think I remember 3 different pipes and 2 chambers :unsure:

Good luck and let us know how it goes :thumbsup:

al