Datatool

Guest steveguzzi

Guest steveguzzi

Hi Guys, My servicing parts all arrived in the post yesterday. :o Thought I'd start on the 6K service today, while I've got time :luigi: . Am going to take the fairing and tank off first. My bike came fitted with a Datatool alarm/immobiliser, with the warning LED fitted in the cockpit of the fairing. It looks like I can pull the LED and wires, from below, out of the red cover, so the fairing can come away. Anyone know if this is right?. Being Sunday can't get hold of Datatool ^_^ Don't want to bugger the alarm up!

Just thought I'd ask

Steve

Steve

I've got a datatool alarm (didn't want it but insurance was way cheaper with it), it looks like the LED is just fed through the panel (in my case side panel) and held in place by a small round push fit clip on the outside. I've not done it but it looks as though you can just carefully pop off the round clip and pull out the LED from the other side.

I'm sure it won't be too difficult (also - you may already know this - but you can take the fairing off in one piece, just undo the main bracket bolts and the indicator wiring and hey presto).

Mal :helmet:

Guest steveguzzi

Thanks, Mal and Brian :bier: I managed to do some of the service without moving the tank and fairing, but I'll see if the clip will come away and allow me to poke the LED through, then I can take off the fairing and tank next. I rang Datatool, but they did not know what to do, amazing :o . I agree Mal, having this alarm is just something else to go wrong, and leave me stranded! You can't even switch the thing off. It just sits there and drains your battery. Ah well - progress

Cheers, Steve

...yuck :huh:

Yeah, I'm not real "hip" on MC alarms for this very reason. I just don't like cutting into the harness, etc, and adding something else that will make the bike fail to run, "on purpose" :P

Many thefts now-a-days are done with a van/truck anyway. The pull up, cut the chain(if you even have one), and 2 or 3 guys toss it into the vehicle before anyone knows what happened.... alarm screaming or not.

If they want your bike, they'll get it. Sad but true.

So I just try to use common sense where I park, etc... and hope that no one wants my bike <_ but hey that what insurance is for i guess src="%7B___base_url___%7D/uploads/emoticons/default_unsure.png" alt=":unsure:">

Good luck with it though :thumbsup:

al

One of the primary reasons I chose to ride Moto Guzzi instead of Harley was the theft factor. Nobody wants to steal them. Most people don't even know what they are. "Who makes that? Honda?"

I had a Honda stolen. Same bike twice. From the sidewalk in front of my apartment. Had a Yamaha parked in the same place for less than a year before it too was stolen. Parked my first Ambassador in the same spot for 2 years. Nobody touched it.

... yikes :huh:

But, although I didn't consider "theft factor" when I purchased my bike, I agree and worry a bit less about the bike for the reasons you cite :P

I can't tell you how many times, especially from "kids" I've been asked.... "Eh, who makes a Motoooh Gooosy?"

:sun: