Rear Wheel Bearing Replacement

I pulled the rear wheel off to change my tire. The bearing on the brake caliber size was bad (gritty sounding/not smooth). I was planning on changing both bearings myself. Luckily, I had spare bearings. I need information on what steps I should take to start this project.

Do I need to remove the circlip?

Do these bearing need to be press by a machine?

Can i do this job at home?

Decent mechanical skills but nothing like AL R. :luigi:

Hope to see some of you at the Central California get together. :thumbsup:

Guest Brian Robson

When I changed mine, I left the circlip in place. I used a bearing remover (axle width pipe with 4 cuts in one end, gently flared and when fed into the hole flares out against the bearing and then can be rubber malletted out). I pressed them in using nothing more than the old bearings to snug them tight. (Put the bearings in the freezer for an hour or two and using a hairdryer heat up the centre of the wheel to make the bearings slide in more easily). Clean the bearing space with a degreaser and make sure there no grit is in the cup.

There are probably different and even better ways, but it works for me every time.

Good luck :luigi::luigi::luigi:

As Brian says, tho I used an old axle bolt to drift em out. Make sure you keep bearings straight in the housings as you knock em out & in. Don't drive inner races, outer ring only. Another way to heat up hub is a towel or something soaked in v hot water wrapped round it for a bit.

Do check width of spacer between inner races. Wrong length wrecks bearings.

KB :sun:

Wd-40 is key. I used a large screwdriver and a rubber mallet. After 10 hard blows in a circular motion, the bearing did not budge. I then sprayed the bearing with some wd-40 and bam it came loose with two heavy blow. Worked the same on the other side. I did not have to remove the circlip or the brake bracket. I think it will be much easier next time. My spline was pretty dry.

Well, on Thursday, I will work on the front. Thanks all for the helping hints.

:helmet: