#$5%@ Zerks

I was able to only grease one fitting. I pump too much and it all spurted out. Is this bad? How the hell did you guys get to the other ones? My grease gun end was too big to fit on the zerk on the end. Do I need some else? I even have the 180 degree end. Any hints will be appreciated.

I have been working on the bike the last two weeks to get it ready for the non rally. The wife ok'd me for two days of riding time. I just put two new tires (Michelin Pilot Sport) and new bearings all around. You guys have been a great source of info. Thanks again. :bike:

Guest Jeff Kelland

I am a professional mechanic with nearly 30 years of experience on everything from bicycles to state of the art firefighting equipment. No grease fitting was going to defeat me. I have access to unlimited hardware and fittings, so I made a really neat adapter to get the front fitting, and then I modified it a little, and then some more. A little more should just get there, %*@&!!! Well maybe just a little grinding here and voila! *&%$@!!! I pull the rear wheel, makes it much easier and lets me clean and lube the splines on the rear drive at the same time. :D

:lol: I think it's the Italian sense of humor with that design.

There's a faq or a long thread on this, but I'll summarize what I remember-

Grind an angled grease gun fitting down so it can fit in there or use an articulated grease gun fitting. A really nifty tip that I read was that someone made a tube from cardboard and taped it into the safety housing after greasing. When he drove, the grease that flew off stuck to the cardboard rather than being flung all over the rear wheel.

Anywhy- here's the thread:

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?...ing%20zerk&st=0

Guest northend

the only one i've seen that the guy said worked was a straight one with about the first 1/4" ground skinnier on a grinder.

• 1 month later...

Last night I removed the rear tire to get a new one. I took this opportunity to grease the driveshaft. I bought a "Lubrimatic" grease swivel at Ace Hardware for around $15. I rotated the shaft to where the zerk was positioned up. I tilted the swivel til it was around 45 degrees. The set up is long enough to reach through the tunnel in the swingarm. Greasing was a piece of cake. Tonight I'll put the tire on and try the cardboard method.

How many Zerks are there on the shaft assembly?

On the front union I seem to remember I found two.

One was easy to get to but the other seemed to need a smaller fitting.

I think there were also two on the rear union.