Break in or not. - newbie

staedtler

Hi all

I/m new to the forum and Guzzi's

I'll be picking up a v11 sport in LA. sometime next month

so..i can get it shipped here (San Antonio)

or..ican try to drive it, (and save me some money) that's about a day and change.

and about 1300 mi. One of my buddies say it'l be ok, the other don't think so.

(they both have ducs). I'm not sure what to do.

I'll aprecciate any info or feedback

Thanks.

the most important thing i'd do would be to get the oil changed around 500-600 miles somewhere half distance on your trip. You'll find that until you have 500 or so miles on the V11 it may have some difficulty holding an idle (mine did but it was a 2001). Also it was super vibey at first, only really smoothing out once i hit 1000 miles or so.

Otherwise why not ?

robbie

Guest jerroldt

The owners manual that came with my bike said not to exeed 5000 RPM's for (I think) the first 500 miles, but at 4000 RPM's it is cruising at 70MPH. They do say to try and vary your speed during break-in.

Ride it home :bike: ...it'll be nicely broken in when you get there. Then have the initial service done. Don't beat it but don't lug it either...these are machines that are made to run and they do it well. Enjoy :bier:

Guest dkgross

yup.. I agree. Just take the backroads and fun roads instead of blasting down the slab at a constant RPM/Speed. Lots of stops and starts.

have a great ride!

I picked mine up in southern Sweden and rode it home first thing

about 1200 kms, no problems.

Just avoid high rpms (see the handbook),

more important:

avoid using high gears at low rpms

(shift down earlier than you normally would such a strong engine).

My old legs suffered more than the engine from the ride as it was the

first longer ride of the season and a new higher seating position

than on th BSA.

When are you thinking about doing this? I have a friend who's going to Moto Guzzi Classics in a month or so to pick up a bike. I think he plans to ride it home to Texas- Dallas area- as well. You two should hook up. Send me a PM if you are interested in contacting him.

J

I thought of something I'd read years ago about breaking engines in. I recall that some mechnics/engine builders "heat cycle" engines to attain proper break in. As I recall this technique involves running the engine up to operating temp for several minutes, then letting it cool back to down, then running it up again, and letting it cool again. Performing this "heat cycle" several times to accelerate the break in time was the goal if I recall correctly.

I don't know if this was a fad for a year or two, or if it is hocus pocus or a valid technique. Anyone else know of this technique and if it has merit or not? :doh:

As I will be soon picking up my V11 LM I'd be interested in the opinions :huh2:

5 minutes in you'll know where it feels like your "hurting it". don't go above that, and vary your rpm alot.

my bike is almost all out of "hurtieness" :whistle:

oh, and check your idle when you pick it up. they seem to set em up WAY lean out of the box.

Guest Steve in VA

I suggest stopping in Prescot and changing the fluids and filter there, AND doing the same again at 1000 - 1200 miles. The countryside around Prescot is NICE, and EP&F is a VERY nice shop worth the visit (and the money). Changing the fluids & filters twice in the first thousand miles or so I think is a good idea anyway.

If you can, go through Globe, AZ. It is a gorgeous route.