Valve cover question

Guest Warren Rhen

Guest Warren Rhen

I'd like to paint my valve cover gaskets on my LeMans but I'm wondering if they usually come off without ruining the gaskets or should I get some gaskets before I start?

You are going to paint the covers..right? I've seen the mechanic at the dealer remove the covers countless times without ever tearing a gasket, but he never re-uses them. They are some of the thinnest gaskets I've ever seen , I know that I'd probably tear them or damage them in some way. I'd get new ones. :bier:

I'd like to paint my valve cover gaskets on my LeMans but I'm wondering if they usually come off without ruining the gaskets or should I get some gaskets before I start?

I think you meant, I wanted to paint my valve covers? I would buy a set of valve cover gaskets before you decide to do the job (just in case one tears). After removing the valve cover bolts, take the palm of your hand and pop the valve cover with it to knock it loose. I have done this on both of my Guzzi's and have never had to replace a gasket yet. Now I have two sets of valve covers gaskets awaiting the day to be replaced.

Mike

MGcycle (www.mgcycle.com) sells an 'extra thick' gasket that works beautifully. For 8 bucks plus shipping it's worth the piece of mind.

I'm going to make the assumption that you haven't ever taken the covers off. One bit of advice- when you retighten the valve cover bolts- don't overdo it. It really doesn't take much pressure.

J

I bought a set of replacement gaskets when the bike was new almost 3 years ago and never had to replace any. Took valve covers off at least 6 times already.

But, if I was a mechanic at the dealer working on somebody's bike I would also replace gaskets every time for sure.

I'm also one for re-using valve cover gaskets - unless they're buggered of course(BUT make sure you always keep a spare set in the garage in case they do eventually tear or weep).

I've been riding & fiddling with Guzzis for many years and must have taken off valve covers hundreds of times & have always re-used these gaskets, I may have had the odd weep of oil every now and then in which case new gaskets are used but generally you shouldn't have problems.

Mal :helmet: