Valve stem

big unit

I was looking through the forums for tappet ( valve ) adjustments and to my surprise, horror, shock, guys are saying they are experienceing premature valve stem wear and that it is most likely common for all big block motors.

If you do have this problem wouldn't a first indication be blowing exhaust smoke at start up after bike has been sitting for a while due to oil by-passing valve stem to valve stem guide seal and entering the combustion chamber.

Could these soft valves be a throw back from the leaded petrol period and the hardening process has not been upgraded for unleaded petrol.

I don't have smoke blowing out of my exhaust yet. So I am remaining optimistic ( a pessimist is an experienced optimist).

The V11 is a great looking bike and a great bike to ride, but if only -

I have heard of this. I have seen a 1100sporti with excessive carbon build up vales stick and meet witht he piston. I however have a 94 sport1100carbed version with 85 000kms with no such symptoms which I would expect. Wouldn't worry about it till you have symptoms.

I agree with Murray, don't worry about it, its certainly not a problem with all big block Guzzis, I've known a lot of Guzzi folk over the years and valve problems on the big Guzzis are pretty rare (a different story with some of the smaller models). Its possible there may be a batch of dodgy ones in some V11s but there's no point fretting over something that probably won't happen.

Just ride it and enjoy :thumbsup:

Mal :helmet: