Power Commander III experience

Guest Ronbo10

Guest JohnInNH
Did you have a custom dyno derived map done on your original PC-III by the same shop or was it a downloaded modification "mached" map to your configuration?

65705[/snapback]

Yes, the Serial Port single 500 RPM Data Map was done at an EXPERIENCED Tuning Link Center. It has been posted on Todd's site for a long time.

:2c: IMHO sell the old PC-III... Get the USB and pay the extra $ for the dual map when you go to the dyno shop. Especially since you have not already paid for a custom map. It's harder to swallow if you paid for the box AND a map. Look at it this way... you save $250 :2c:

I balked at this and now wish I had listened to Todd ... Not that I think everything he says is gospill. LOL, but most of what he says is spot on.

Had I done this 3 months ago....I would have had needed new tires mid summer and had them already on and could have taken a 3 day trip during this Indian Summer break.

Well... I  removed my K+N PC-III and installed a new USB PC-III  Had JohnT in CT dial in a custom map for both cylinders. 

The custom map I had before did not inspire me as this has.

It's like a new bike.  I have spent more time on the Le Mans in the last week than in the last 3 months.

Freeking amazing.  It's much smoother all over.  With each cylinder mapped correctly (no 2 bikes are the same) and the throttle bodies balanced (they were OK) I have discovered all these smooth/sweet spots I did not know were there.  It's weird.

The midrange and top end is totally different.  I pull strong and evenly all the way to 125 MPH.  Back off to 90 MPH and roll on smoothly and she pulls evenly and with no flat spots at all, all the way back up to over 120 MPH

Normal driving is as smooth.  The 65-75 MPH range in both  5th and 6th are sweet.  Strong. Smooth. The bike is so different. 

I can't wait for warm weather to see how the MPG is.. hard to tell at 40 -45 deg out.  I have averaged 38.5 MPG.  High of 41.5 low of 34 with lots of tipple digit speeds and hills since the new PC-III and the dual map.

It's so hard to just lope along with out giving her a twist to feel the power.  It's always on tap. 

Both 2500-3800 range and the 4K on up are running flawlessly!

I need tires!

65629[/snapback]

The PCIII USB is the way to go only if you do pay for the extra charge of getting the bike dynoed and have the seperate cylinders mapped. Note, the single cylinder mapping is an extra charge because the bike needs to do an extra pull or two. One guy at the rally that did have his bike dynoed said that afterwards the bike did run really smooth, his words were the bike felt non Guzzi like! The bike owner also had a few more runs on the dyno to make sure each cylinder was equal, and the mapping was different each time. This is like setting the idle mixture adjustment on a carb, you need to adjust on side, then go to the second carb and back to the first one to readjust.

I talked to Todd earlier this year at one of the rallys where he put on a PCIII seminar, it was very imformative. We were trying to figure out why the single cylinder mapping would make such a difference in making the Guzzi run so much smoother. It could be a number of things engine wise since the Guzzi engine is not really blue printed but I think it has more to do with the way the injectors flow?

Not really sure. One thing the really needs to be done when having the mapping made is to have the sniffer put in 18" to 24" from the exhaust port. This is to get a true reading from the cylinder, any farther back and you will draw air into the sniffer. Todd also recommended going with a 13.0 to 13.2 air fuel ratio for power which may have an effect on your fuel mileage.

This brings up another question. What do you do when you have an 03 or newer V11 with the front crossover?

Mike

This brings up another question.  What do you do when you have an 03 or newer V11 with the front crossover? 

Mike

65723[/snapback]

When I mapped John's bike I used the exhaust bungs located on the header pipes for the best a/f readings of each cylinder.

On the newer bikes, the bungs are located just before the front crossover so you can still get the same great readings from each cylinder.

Guest rollingthunder
The USB version is much more advanced. Either will make your bike much better, but the USB maps at I believe twice as many increments, so you will have the RIGHT mixture more often...nothing is perfect all the time.

Also the USB version offers throttle pump emulation(I don't think this improves the bike much, but who knows?)

And the USB version offers individual cylinder mapping, so for a few dollars more on the dyno you can get even closer to perfection!

58652[/snapback]

Thanks for this - I'm now the proud owner of a PCIII USB, supplied by Todd :) I just have to get it fitted and the maps loaded now - once she's passed her annual inspection next weekend. I've fitted the original cans to pass the test, which of course will be promptly removed the day after the test! lol

All the best,

RT