Power Commander III experience

Guest Ronbo10

Guest Ronbo10

I thought I'd start a new thread rather than respond to "Apexlocator" 's question (power commander or chip?) because my comments won't address his queston exactly, but rather speaks more to the point of what the PC III is able to do. A little background- I have a 2000 V11 Sport. I had brought it to Ferracci to have the transmission recall work done, and I had mentioned that there was a glitch in the fuel mapping (Ferracci had done the original PCIII install and mapping). They told me that another mapping would run $200 (so I wasn't game for that) but that they'd see what they could do. I got the bike back having been told that they had "cleaned it up" a little, but I don't think they rode the bike afterwards. If they had, they would have noted that my original problem had only been exacerbated, with the bike coughing and hiccuping anytime the throttle was between 10% open and, say, about 30% open (typical conditions cruising through a town, for example). So basically unrideable (what a disappointment). The good news is that this motivated me to visit the Power Commander website.

What I found is that Power Commander makes available other users' fuel maps the users have come up with, which can be downloaded with Power Commander's software (called the "Power Commander Control Center"). Turns out one gent in England was kind enough to upload the map he had had done professionally for his V11 Sport, which coincidentally happened to be configured exactly as mine is- full Raceco Exhaust, with K and N pod filters. Hot Dog! Exactly what I needed. So, I borrowed a friend's lap top, installed the Power Commander Control Center, updated it to the latest version (again, a quick download from Power Commander's website), hooked the laptop up to the PC III with map ready to go, turned on the ignition, and with "com port" set on auto, the laptop found the Power Commander on my bike (it took some doing getting to this point, as the USB to 9-pin Serial Port link software set the com port to #6. Earlier versions of PC III's software wouldn't recognize a com port of higher value than #4, which is what necesitated the download of the PC Control Center's latest version, which recognizes com ports from #1 through #8- I was then in business!).

It worked like a charm. Using this software, you can compare the map that was already in the computer (i.e. what Ferracci had done) to the new map I had downloaded from the PC website, and while there were some similarities, overall they were quite a bit different. PDQ is the name of the outfit in England that had done the map, and I plan to give them a call and thank them personally, as the new map is AWESOME. Hondas don't inject more cleanly than my Guzzi does now. No hessitation or hicupping anywhere at any throttle position. The prior map apparanetly was quite lean, as the header pipes would blue slightly. I'd buff that out- Raceco uses a real nice grade of stainless- and it would blue up again. With the new map upload, the header pipes have turned just a sort of bronze color (after a 2 hour-long ride), which I would take to mean that the EGT is a bit cooler (i.e. not as lean). Under the "notes" that accompanied the PDQ download, it is mentioned that their dyno showed something just north of 88 bhp (peak), which I know will sound a bit on the high side, but I chalk it up to variations in dynos. Still, Ferracci managed 85.8 bhp on my bike with their original mapping. So it's not out of the realm of possibilities.

In anycase, peak power doesn't really matter to me that much anymore, as I ride the bike mostly in the midrange, or even lower at times. Some of you may recall that I had been considering doing the high compression pistons that Ferracci offers, with big valves etc., and decided against it. This bike is wonderful the way it is, and reliable (I should think, although I might need a new tachometer- the current one is working intermittently). If you want a real fast bike, I think it'd probably be wiser to buy one that comes that way stock. My Guzzi is fast enough now to be plenty of fun. Being honest with myself, I don't ride hard enough (anymore) where the extra power (from a piston/ big valve kit) is necessary, or even welcome, for me at least. Some say there's no such thing as too much power, but I guess at 46 years old, I'm past that point where it matters, or where bragging rights are important.

For any of you with Mistrals or the like, you may fiind a PCIII map that would work well with your configuration on Power Commander's website. I couldn't be happier with my Guzzi the way it's set up right now.

By the way, the transmission work Ferracci has done seems to have cleared up the problem of the sticking shift lever. I don't know if that sleave issue is addressed with the kit Guzzi has provided, but it almost never sticks now.

If I ever had doubts in the past, I think at this point I'm going to be keeping this bike for a very long time. Fantastic! :D

Guest Jeff Kelland

Allthough I have not had my pc111 "professionally" set up, I have spent some time setting it up myself. Between this, and loosening up the valve clearance, the engine on my goose is exactly what I want it to be, a very flexable, ridable power plant. I too do not need high compression pistons or big cams, I'm 47, and I just want to ride at speeds below those requiring adrenaline. I have also resisted the urge to replace the mufflers, I know how good these engine sound "uncorked", but I really believe riding in stealth mode has saved me several speeding tickets already. I came from ducks to geese and I am quite happy with this bike almost stock! It runs beautifully, the injection is every bit as good as my ducks was, which was also chipped. I often wonder why some of us (myself included) spend so much time and money to improve the performance of our machines in ranges where we spend so little time. For the first time in my life I am really just trying to use this machine the way they made it, It's capabilities already exeed mine in daily street riding. :D

Guest Fonzarelli
I often wonder why some of us (myself included) spend so much time and money to improve the performance of our machines in ranges where we spend so little time.

I believe this to be very true!

Everyone at one time or another gets fixated on peak HP numbers. In the real world of street riding, you will find yourself in the low to midrange most often. Sure, you might pick up 10 HP at redline, but it will take you longer to get there.

Also, most of the aftermarket claims of higher peak HP come with a sacrifice many do not consider: bottom end and midrange power... This can be an easy trap to fall into when hunting horsepower.

Just to show how everybody is different let me say that I ride my V11S as fast and hard as it goes on everyday basis. I want as much power and speed as I can get!

When I was in late 40-ies like you guys I also thought I've mellowed then. But it was just a hiccup and now, at 57 I want to enjoy life as much as possible, especially now when I can afford it and skills and abilities are still there.

For even more speed I just bought a new '04 Yamaha R1 which is a machine difficult to describe in any words I have an access to. And my first cruiser bought 2 months ago is also fun although you cannot call it a motorcycle really.

My map was kidnapped from Todd's website and after few twitches the fuelling is also perfect. This Powercommander is really something.

I just picked up my bike from the dealer after a recall work was done. On brand new tires, after a few first klicks going easy, I just rode over 125 klilometers home. Half of the distance on sideroads, the rest being a freeway ride I squeezed from my Italian favourite all its got and enjoyed every second of it.

When I want to go below my andrenaline level then i take a car or the cruiser.

And yes, with open Ferraci box, FBF pipes and Stucchi x-over when compared to stock the bike lost a tiny bit of torque at a very low revs, say below 2500 RPM. Can be detected only during lazy take-offs. In exchange the mid range and the top are way stronger. It is not ferocious like a Jap sportsbike but definitely serves the Goose very well and adds considerably to its character.

And the sound, that Wagnerian sound is unreal!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest vagene

Well I have done the whole nine yards, Stucchi crosover, airbox, mistral exhausts, and a PC, supposedly pre-configured for this setup. I just spent 1900 miles on a 4 day trip down to the superbike race in Birmingham and back and no matter what adjustment I do, I still have the stumble you discuss. I am no mechanic, so I really do not know what I am doing but I had the opportunity to play with leaner, richer on both the low and mid RPM settings, all I was able to notice is I could create new flat spots - but I could never get rid of that stumble at low RPM, which can be a problem not only around town but also on some of the 15MPH hairpins. I called the dealer today and told him for the kind of money I spent it ought to be perfect - he agreed now I just need to figure out a way to get it the 60 miles out there after being out of the office for 4 days, 500 emails still to review and another trip planned for this weekend - on the Victory at least. Anyway, decided to check the forum and saw this thread. I went to the PC site and there is no map for my setup, has anyone else done this setup yet? I also noticed that my dealer is not a PC service center, but I trust them the new Service Manager is well known in this part of the country, previously on some of the top race teams. How complicated is this going to be for them to get it right? Should I contact PC direct? Any advice would be appreciated. And BTW, bike runs awesome except for that low RPM problem, pulls much stronger at 4-6K RPM over stock. Thanks - VAGENE :homer:

• 1 year later...
Guest ikocabyk

Hi my friends

Soory to disturb you. I have a yamaha R1 for drag race.

And I use power commander now. And I would like to ask you where can I download best programme for 0-400 meter. . If you can help me please.

My e-mail is ibrahim@akaytour.com

Thank you so much

İbrahim

Guest rollingthunder

Hi RonBo, I'm glad that you started this thread, as I'm about to buy a PCIII for my 2000 V11S :bier:

I've visited PowerCommander's website, and agree that the maps are going to be very handy - I have a (currently) stock bike apart from Mistrals, and there is a map for my configuration there. I'm thinking of ftting K&Ns so the ability to tweek my fuelling will be important, as is the ability to reset the maps after fitting the standard cans for the annual MoT inspections :whistle:

Are there any benefits of using the USB version over the serial one? Or is it merely a matter of ease of connectivity to your laptop?

Cheers,

RT

Well I have done the whole nine yards, Stucchi crosover, airbox, mistral exhausts, and a PC, supposedly pre-configured for this setup. I just spent 1900 miles on a 4 day trip down to the superbike race in Birmingham and back and no matter what adjustment I do, I still have the stumble you discuss......

My '02 Le Mans is set up with the Stucchi & Mistral's - let me check to see if I still have the map on a diskette over the weekend. If so, I'll be happy to copy it & mail it up to you. Mine runs pretty darn well, even in the summer heat of Atlanta, no snap, crackle or pop.

Phil

Atlanta GA

'02 Le Mans

Hi my friends

Soory to disturb you. I have a yamaha R1 for drag race.

And  I use power commander now. And I would like to ask you where can I  download  best programme for 0-400 meter. . If you can help me please.

My e-mail is ibrahim@akaytour.com

Thank you so much

İbrahim

58623[/snapback]

Hi Ibrahim,

My guess is you'll find lots more information on Yamaha R1 specific forums like:

http://www.r1-forum.com/ or

http://www.r1-forum.de/

Good luck!

Are there any benefits of using the USB version over the serial one? Or is it merely a matter of ease of connectivity to your laptop?

58624[/snapback]

The USB version is much more advanced. Either will make your bike much better, but the USB maps at I believe twice as many increments, so you will have the RIGHT mixture more often...nothing is perfect all the time.

Also the USB version offers throttle pump emulation(I don't think this improves the bike much, but who knows?)

And the USB version offers individual cylinder mapping, so for a few dollars more on the dyno you can get even closer to perfection!

• 2 months later...
Guest JohnInNH

Well... I removed my K+N PC-III and installed a new USB PC-III Had JohnT in CT dial in a custom map for both cylinders.

The custom map I had before did not inspire me as this has.

It's like a new bike. I have spent more time on the Le Mans in the last week than in the last 3 months.

Freeking amazing. It's much smoother all over. With each cylinder mapped correctly (no 2 bikes are the same) and the throttle bodies balanced (they were OK) I have discovered all these smooth/sweet spots I did not know were there. It's weird.

The midrange and top end is totally different. I pull strong and evenly all the way to 125 MPH. Back off to 90 MPH and roll on smoothly and she pulls evenly and with no flat spots at all, all the way back up to over 120 MPH

Normal driving is as smooth. The 65-75 MPH range in both 5th and 6th are sweet. Strong. Smooth. The bike is so different.

I can't wait for warm weather to see how the MPG is.. hard to tell at 40 -45 deg out. I have averaged 38.5 MPG. High of 41.5 low of 34 with lots of tipple digit speeds and hills since the new PC-III and the dual map.

It's so hard to just lope along with out giving her a twist to feel the power. It's always on tap.

Both 2500-3800 range and the 4K on up are running flawlessly!

I need tires!

Guest JohnInNH

Cliff 2500 - 3000 is the putting around town in a higher gear when you need no power really to speak of. It's quiet, and feels torquie (sp) Plenty of power to do most of the every days stuff in the lower 3 gears.

I find in 5th I want to be above 3800 ... Soo the 55 mph thing is where I get stuck with the, do I drive in 5th, or speed and go 65 in 6th.

The bike runs fine in all the RPM's .. I find that at 3800 -4000 is where the bike just starts wake up.

SOoooooooooooooooo I typically am in the 2500-3500 for low power and smooth riding.. or over 4k....

At 3750 I either up shift to slow the motor down and putt along or down shift for power cuz I'm going on throttle... the 2500-<3700 or so is the putting mode. It's quiet and I find NO reason to buzz along at 3800 n over RPM when only going 25-40 MPH

I was not making a point of disqualifying any range as being deficient, on the contrary I was trying to point out that the new map not only works in the 50% TPS and up range, but in the LOWER TPS ranges and RPM's as well.

Now I'm pissed because I have no rubber left and 4 days of premo riding ahead!

I have a set of Conti Road Attacks due here for Sat maybe. .. Then I need to mount them.

I am not new to the PC-III but am new to the USB with both the right and left maps. WOW! I am so in love with the Le Mans again :wub:

I was finding myself taking the old Cal-II a LOT more this summer. But now the draw is for the new improved re mapped Le Mans. I can't ride it enough!

I made sure I took a few long day trips before the new PC-III. Up to the White Mountains along the Canadian boarder n such so I would be able to objectively compare the difference with the new computer and better mapping.

Was it worth the extra $ ? It was to me. The difference between the stock map and the K+N PC-III and the custom map is about the same difference as the new PC-III with the new map to the old one. It's THAT much different.

Todd was right ... I wish I had taken his advise and got the new USB PC-III sooner.

I did it more in hopes of getting better MPG. I was tired of getting 35 MPG. I Did get over 41 MPG on the way home from the Tuning Center. (37 on the way down)

I just need some warm days and to behave myself to really see if I did gain a significant MPG change along with the other advantages I have so greatfully gained.

The custom map I had before did not inspire me as this has.

65629[/snapback]

Did you have a custom dyno derived map done on your original PC-III by the same shop or was it a downloaded modification "mached" map to your configuration?

Interesting that the USB version made that much difference due to individual cylinder mapping and double the data points. Not doubting, just questioning my path of getting my serial PC-III dialed in this spring... :huh2: