fat grips

leafman60

I want fatter grips !! BBG's I bought a wondeerful pair of "grandtouring" grips but the ends taper down too small for my throttlemeisters. Does anyone know of a source for fat-sized grips that will fit our Guzzi clipons???

I got a set of fat foam grips from McMaster-Carr that are very squishy and comfortable. These replaced the Grandraids I had. www.mcmaster.com part number 9754k53 $6.43 for a 5 pack. The left one is loose enough it needs to be held on with hair spray.

Okkkkk, I figured it out myself. I got a pair of Pro Grips - "gel grips." I removed the old grips. Then I taped taped taped the bars with electrical tape to achieve the desired ergonomic foundation shape. Then I sprayed the grips and taped bars and slipppppped it on all the way to the hilt. The grips stretched to conform to the great shape I had laid down with tape. Last, was a pair of Throttlemeisters. Now I have a wonder looking and feeling pair of grips.

The End :rasta:

Okkkkk, I figured it out myself. I got a pair of Pro Grips - "gel grips." I removed the old grips. Then I taped taped taped the bars with electrical tape to achieve the desired ergonomic foundation shape. Then I sprayed the grips and taped bars and slipppppped it on all the way to the hilt. The grips stretched to conform to the great shape I had laid down with tape. Last, was a pair of Throttlemeisters. Now I have a wonder looking and feeling pair of grips.

The End :rasta:

You Da Man! :thumbsup:

Same grip I have used since day one on my V11 Sport. :bier:

Mike

Guest ksann

Just yesterday I installed the Galindo SuperBike grips. Much thicker than stock. My hand is more relaxed now.

So far I have invested $20 in the bike:

$11 (plus shipping) for the Evoluzione Peg Relocator Kit

$9 for the SuperBike grips

Both worthwile.

Why can't all mods be so co$t effective?

ken

Guest odyssey986

Hopw hard is it to remove the original grips? I have never changed the grips on a motorcycle and worry about messing up the throttle mechanism if I do it wrong.

Any suggestions?

Guest Thundering Subash

It's pretty straight forward, and IMO one of the nicest, easiest, and cheapest modifcations you can do to your bike. Everyone seems to have a slightly different method. I did mine shortly after I got my bike, as I didn't like the hard rubber knobby ones that came on the bike. Based on a tip from my dealer (the guy at the parts counter that sold me the grips), one handlebar end at a time I shoot a liberal amount of hair spray under the grip, work it in, and turn it off (note: you have to work fast as the hair spray gets tacky and sets up fairly quick). Once the old ones are off, you can clean things up a bit (don't use anything oil based here), make sure they are dry, spray on a nice coating of hair spray, and slide the new grips on (again, do this one at a time and you'll have to work fairly quickly here). Once in place you should let things set up for about a day (this step is about the hardest part of the job :P ), followed by a nice log ride with your comfy new grips. :bike:

I should note that I took mine off as described above, because I wanted to save the stock grips (don't ask me why, they are sitting in a box in my garage and will never go on the bike again). The next time I replace the grips I'll just rip the old ones off with a plyers or if they're stubborn, pull them away and carefully cut them off with a utility knife.

Happy Trails :mg:

-Chris

I just cut 'em off..... if you use a new sharp blade, and take your time, you won't hurt anything.

The throttle tube is pretty hard plastic, and thick, so it would be hard to damage it. And of course, on the left grip, it's just a metal bar.

Just slice them down the middle, lenthwise, and peel 'em off like a banana peel :P

al

If you have compressed air available, a great trick is to stick the tip of the blower nozzle under the grip. A quick shot of air and a push in the right direction and off they pop. Slides them on too but a little trickier. No fuss, no mess, reuse if not happy.

cheers,

Rj

Guest ksann

With a sharp knife, i cut amost all of the way through the rubber (very easy), and just pulled the two halves apart, and it ripped down the seam.

I then sprayed a small amout of hair spray into the new one, and immediately worked it on. Then the other side.

All in all, less than 10 minutes, and a big improvement in comfort.

ken